What should I Pray?

I used to have a list of concerns to discuss with God during my pray time. But nowadays I feel a kind of blankness.. Nothing to pray. Am I becoming a sage? Hmm .. No chance. 🙂

I guess this state may be for a few days only, as I’m experiencing this not for the first time. It may not last much. (I may soon open my complaint box 😉 , I guess)

Picture1

But this time a bit different. A total emptiness…

Is there something like I need to pray ‘this’ much time, ‘this’ much louder so that he will answer to my queries..? I don’t think so.

If God can understand everything why do I need to talk to him about my worries, happiness and all..? If he knows me, he must know my feelings too.

I believe that God resides in one’s own heart. So I doubt why should I pray.. Or rather what should I pray?

One thing is for sure that sitting in front of God makes me relaxed during my pray time. But nowadays I sit asking the same question “what should I pray?”

And finally I am not all an atheist and I believe in God fully, so I am simply continuing with my devotional songs…

Have you experienced this kind of feeling before? I would like to hear from you.

One thought on “What should I Pray?

1. jncthedc

December 17, 2015 at 5:19pm

These are the challenges that life hands us and the recognition to step back and realize the humanness of becoming overwhelmed with emotions. As we turn to meditation and prayer to regain a grounding effect our energies return and provide new meaning and understanding for our purpose in life. It is a cycle we must work through each and every time.

December 22, 2015 at 2:34pm

first of all sorry for the late reply (not sure how few of the comments went to Spam folder)
      yes, you have a point there.. understanding the purpose in life… it’s still playing a hide & seek game with me. One day I will find it out fully, so that none could ever hide it..:)

• myheartbeats4ublog

May 14, 2016 at 4:41pm

Nice one…so what would you pray to your own heart??? Da, njaan Shabarimala ethi….ippo paranjal prarthikkum ketto

2. Bushka

December 17, 2015 at 5:23pm

Perhaps we can become enriched by learning to ‘Be Still’…..and just ‘Be’. Not easy…but immensely rewarding. 🙂

December 22, 2015 at 2:41pm

thank you.. it’s a great compliment 😉

3. Pratyusha

December 17, 2015 at 7:21pm

For me, it’s always been a serene, calm and peaceful experience to go to a temple. Apparently never know how to pray rather what to ask. Even though I have a big hit list of things I want in life. But end up only being thankful for everything I have got. And leave with belief and hope that he knows what’s best for me and take care of me. Exit the temple with relief. And most of the times, he does make things sorted out for me. So yeah, pretty much my experience 🙂

December 18, 2015 at 7:12am

Pratyusha,
      I feel I got the answer what I’m looking for..:) You told it right that if he knows everything, he will take care of us.

4. Deb

December 17, 2015 at 7:25pm

I am not very religious so I havent really been here before. But I do love to sometimes have a simple thanksgiving prayer. It’s easier,I think,to always reach out to God with a list of things we want or need,but maybe when you reach out at these times…with nothing but thanksgiving,you may feel a sense of fulfillment. It’s like when sometimes I call home just to say ‘i love you mom,thanks for being my mom’. Simple gratitude. Hope it helps

December 18, 2015 at 7:10am

Deb, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.. You explained a right point regarding thanks giving prayer. yeah, sharing thanks is always calming compared to opening a complaint box.
      But I doubt, won’t it be too formal like saying ‘I love you mom…’

• Pratyusha

December 18, 2015 at 7:15am

Hehehhe. I feel, we always know the answers in our subconscious minds. Somehow don’t click in our minds at the right time 😛 Just like exams ! 😛

December 18, 2015 at 7:03am

Thanks for your time to read and direct me to your post related to this..
      As you told, this off-on state might be a cycle.. connecting more with God..

December 18, 2015 at 7:05am

Thanks Shivangi for reading and commenting.. Happy to know the similar thoughts 😉

6. Ameena k.g

December 18, 2015 at 7:16am

Whenever I feel like I am lost for words of things to ask, or I feel like I’ve got nothing ask. When i go to pray, rather than ask, I use the tI’ve to thank him.

7. Mann Kaundal

December 18, 2015 at 7:17am

I am mostly blank.
    I mean one goes to an auspicious far off place and bows head to have nothing to say! Isn’t it crazy?
    So I take the privilege to say thankyou God. Have merci on us! But I don’t feel it!
    and sometimes I fell so connected even at home…Its an on and off thing. You can read my article regarding my confusion.

December 18, 2015 at 7:24am

indeed, it’s an on-off thing..read you post.. excellent..I liked the way you asked for the password 🙂

8. davekingsbury

December 18, 2015 at 9:51am

On the plus side, feeling blank could be a sign of openness – what Keats called ‘negative capability’ and Wordsworth ‘a wise passiveness’. I saw some graffiti the other day which I liked. ‘Forget Yourself’ – worth considering!

December 18, 2015 at 9:54am

Forget yourself….. liked your words.. relaxing me.. thank you…:)

9. Diana

December 18, 2015 at 2:53pm

Its a good think Akhila…. I am among those who always have such a huge list of things to ask for/ complain and crib about… that i am sure that God does appreciate silence at times 😉

10. cote8050

December 20, 2015 at 11:31am

Prayer is talking to God, meditation is listening to God, maybe just listen to him or just tell him all the things you are grateful for and put everything else in his hands and yes, you are right, he does know all of our hearts and knows what we need better than we do!! Much love and peace to you in this most holy of seasons! Thank you for reading my poem… as you can probably tell, I am in a state of pain and disappointment over a certain man… the one I trusted completely turned out to be a sex addict and lair. I will get over this but it will take a long time…. my poem writing helps.

December 21, 2015 at 6:28am

First of all thanks a ton for being here too..
      I liked the definition of prayer and meditation.. 🙂
      I understand your worries.. As you said writing is a great relief..get well soon..

11. Atomic Words

December 22, 2015 at 1:37pm

I believe that everyone goes through a season of emptiness or spiritual dryness so yes I experience it too. I also go through times when I don’t want to pray and wonder why I should since God knows my thoughts. But we shouldn’t only pray in times of need. Our relationship with God should transcend that. It should be about everything and every season. May God help you through this season and teach all you seek. Remain blessed.

December 22, 2015 at 1:51pm

thanks a lot for your wonderful message..:)

12. ShitHappens2U

December 23, 2015 at 1:12am

I used to find myself with this question when I felt as if I could only pray when I needed something. But, since I have changed the nature of my prayers, they are more like conversations with God. More like “so, what’s up, today is going to be challenging for me so give me strength. Or “goodness that last minute presentation was crazy…good looking out by being there and giving me courage to make it through”….that’s kinda how my prayers go.

December 23, 2015 at 4:15am

woh.. that is really great.. chatting with God..

• ShitHappens2U

December 23, 2015 at 4:17am

Oh yeah…he and I go back a long ways. It took me a LONG time to figure out what my relationship with God looked like..as opposed to what I was told it should look like. Once I figured it out, I came up with my way of chatting with God. My prayers don’t sound like anyone else’s…because I believe he knows my heart. The core of me doesn’t talk like “Dear Heavenly Father…” So, why pretend.

13. Rashid Abbasi

January 6, 2016 at 11:11am

I only pray in my heart when I feel like but I hardly go to mosque specially for praying.

14. Heather Awen

January 18, 2016 at 12:05pm

This is pray my gratitude, when I praise. I think thank you is always a good start to a prayer and find that “counting my blessings” increases faith AND my happiness.

January 18, 2016 at 2:07pm

You are too good that’s why thanks are first prior thing in your prayers, so happy to read your comment. Thank you

15. boundlessblessingsblog

September 26, 2016 at 11:07pm

Your whole way of saying is so apt. Once u realise that he is infinitely one and we r one in him there is no need of going to prayer places where only meaningless things r seen but reading what he has to say to all of his creation and doing self service is the real thing. I just loved your post. Thanks Akhila.

September 27, 2016 at 10:45am

your words are really soothing…for me , prayer places are something creating a calm atmosphere, may be due to the environment over there.