I am not a feminist, but..

I am not a feminist. But I am extremely confounded seeing the hooked nature of woman.  She is always hooked, initially hooked to her father, then to her husband, then to son and the list goes on.Picture2

Is it a boon or bane upon the woman generation?

She is thought to be addicted to emotions. Emotions rule her and make her hooked as well as addicted. Was it a God’s decision? I don’t know.

From the moment a girl is born, she is treated entirely in a different way compared to a boy. The most important thing is that many of the girls don’t understand this discrimination. They just think it to be a part of their routine life.

It is told that a woman has proven their ability to be on the top of the world. But how many of them.. might be a 10 % or less than that. (I am not quite sure on the percentage, it’s a rough figure)

What is that preventing or blocking factor in a women’s life which makes her to be confined to the family? No..no it’s not the family which bonds her.. It’s just an excuse that every woman can tell.

I am not going for a deep analysis. If I have to, I will have to post on the same topic for months. Then what is that blocking factor in front of a woman? I would like to hear from you..

I don’t believe that it is the society’s attitude which made her suppressed.

Up to some extent, it might be her own attitude which made her to be dependent, to be addicted. (Probably imposed upon her for years and years and might take many more years if it needs to be changed).

How could she be convinced upon her strengths? How could she be informed that this is not what is expected from her? How could she be re tuned?

Definitely it must be through the growing generation. And only current generation can build that next generation…

One thought on “I am not a feminist, but..

1. Seb Dani

March 10, 2016 at 4:03pm

I understand when you coming from… It’s hard to say though, but your point lights the truth. As a parent I always treat my kids in the same way….
    Great post Akhila!

2. jncthedc

March 10, 2016 at 4:03pm

This is a difficult topic to find one answer. Different cultures create different foundations upon which we build our character. Different societies have different rules which help guide us to fulfill our “supposed” roles in life. I believe each of us must quietly listen and introspect to find our roles through discovering our passions and purposes in life.

March 10, 2016 at 4:59pm

You said it rightly.. we need to listen to our mind and discover the purpose of life.. but how many of us doing the same .. how many of us even thought about it..might be very few including both gender. ..majority of us deeply involved in the day to day life and simply forget about the vision

• jncthedc

March 10, 2016 at 5:04pm

I agree with you. This attitude appears to transcend cultures all around the world.

March 11, 2016 at 7:43am

yes.. It is there everywhere around us…The person only could listen to his heart, no one else. but how to make them aware..

• Enikkoppam

March 13, 2016 at 2:59pm

Ok…we should follow the purpose of our life..What can we do if it is not possible to attain it without the support of others..?

March 14, 2016 at 4:18am

hm.. we are living in a society and if we are ready to accept the thought of selflessness everything is attainable.

3. Nitin

March 10, 2016 at 4:21pm

I think first of all biological. She is the backbone of family. She creates it. Nurtures it. Gives it a shape and life. So I think, as far as about strength, she is already convinced of that, and the whole world is, because raising a family is not an easy job.

But with the progression of society we have seen more equitable distribution of responsibiliy between men and women, and rise of women in other aspects of life. And it is not wrong. But it will take time for their representation to change. It is evolution and it will take time.

PS. I hope I didn’t rambled on uselessly. 😛 Very thought provoking writeup. And well written too. 🙂

March 10, 2016 at 4:53pm

Thanks Nitin for sharing your excellent feedback..
      I understand that you have a great respect for woman. As you said raising a family is not an easy job..But from where that work segregation happened..? why not men..?..this is my question one. and you know there are many many females who don’t understand that they are doing a wonderful job of building up the family, society and finally the world…so my second question is how to make her understand about her power in building up the world.

• Nitin

March 10, 2016 at 5:13pm

The work segregation was the result of evolution. It wasn’t decided by anyone, per say.

The concept of family is new in the annals of human history. Before that men and women didn’t share a home and meals together to raise a family.

Slowly things started changing, societies developed. Families evolved. And it was naturally assumed that women would take care of home.

Also, in earlier times the work was not refined as we have today. it was hunting, and cutting and tackling animals of prey. For all this, men were generally suited. That’s how the role of men got defined to the outsides.

Women, on the other hand, were assumed to do what they do so good, to raise a family (Also, it was a general trend, there were some small tribes where women were warrior too. But by evolution that trait didn’t spread much)

PS: I’m an ardent believer of evolution. That’s why the above long explanation. (sorry if I sound like arguing, but just that I become excited when talking about evolution)

And in now way I say that if this was the way things happened in the past, it should continue like this. Almost all the female friends I know, who are married, are working, and sharing all responsibilities of family with their husband.

March 11, 2016 at 8:39am

Nitin.. I do agree with you on the history..might be true….But how could this be justifiable…
          And whatever we create now, will become part of history after some time.
          While working, we could see many around us too as working.. But when we look around, we can understand that it’s not the representative figure. there are many many females who just don’t understand how important they are…And the case is not different with males too upto some extent.

• Nitin

March 11, 2016 at 6:12pm

Yeah. I agree with you. This is not justifiable. And the representation is so skewed. The thing is that men are so used to being the dominating one, the ones in control, that we find ourselves threatened.. It should change. Good point, I agree..

March 14, 2016 at 6:25am

Thank you Nitin. i am glad that we share the same views.:)

4. Alok Singhal

March 10, 2016 at 5:20pm

I feel she has to realize it from within first, that all is in her control. Yes, she might have to fight the society for it, but then that’s what the whole issue is all about!

March 11, 2016 at 4:03am

Absolutely true.. she herself has to realize it first. But a fight with the society won’t bring a any good effects other than some group-ism.Is n’t it..?

March 11, 2016 at 10:51am

Yes.. It matters how she is grown up, how she is educated, how she is living etc etc..

5. DaisyWillows

March 10, 2016 at 6:18pm

I’m going to be blunt. I don’t think women stick together. We are the first to slate and criticise our own gender.

March 11, 2016 at 4:00am

It may be correct..You said a great point. without being aware of the power of a female gender, poor chaps pitying themselves..But how long they can sustain like this.? they need to come out of this situation, right..? But how can ..?

6. chithankalai

March 10, 2016 at 6:40pm

This is has to do with history of the world, Akhila. Till the human beings knew the secrecy of the ‘birth’ of another human being, it was the woman who ruled! You can look for it in your own geographical history of Kerala. Women were the head of the family.
    Second, when the concept of ‘ possession’ or ‘own’ entered, the scenario changes. ‘ Owning the pro property’ – ‘cows’; ‘Goats’; and then the farming lands! and then the women so that the property would not go out of that ‘FAMILY’
    I can write a full fledged essay on this.
    But, I have given you food for thought!
    Think it over.

March 11, 2016 at 3:56am

yes.. you have given me food for thought.. thank you..
      History plays a lot.. Probably there were women rulers.. But I don’ know how can I relate it to the current scenario where I could see mainly discrimination. I am not blaming anyone for the same ..As i said it in my post, it could be mainly due to the unawareness of females themselves..

7. Swetha M

March 10, 2016 at 6:50pm

She is forever hooked to someone or the other because ‘the someone or the other’ wouldn’t have it any other way and this system is upheld in all her relations (family, work place, society, government etc.) on a global scale in varying degrees.

March 11, 2016 at 3:45am

Yes, you said it.. on a global scale in varying degrees she is always hooked to someone… She is building up the family, thus the society and finally the world…but is she really knowing what she is doing..? i don’t think that majority are aware of their importance in the world. They just treat themselves as housewives or so. So come on Swetha, let us help them…

• Swetha M

March 11, 2016 at 6:15am

Yes women themselves do not realize their importance and often succumb to subjugation. So I guess instead of asking or waiting for things to change, we must make way for it ourselves. Yes let us help 🙂

March 11, 2016 at 7:32am

Yes we need to help ourselves and others.. There is no point in making a fight with the society. So let us open some ways..

8. Worlds Biggest Fridge Magnet

March 10, 2016 at 11:04pm

I think Geography and religion certainly have a say in how a girl is treated in comparison to a boy. I however am of the mind that we should all be treated equal and if I am honest I have preferred working for female bosses over male bosses.

March 11, 2016 at 3:40am

yes.. there is a great influence of Geography and religion…But this is happening all over the world, if my understanding is correct, may be a very little exceptions..And my question is how this happened, rooted in history..?
      Thanks a lot for expressing your feelings and I am glad to that you wish equality..

9. Micki Allen

March 11, 2016 at 3:47am

I cannot speak for any woman other than myself, but I honestly believe that I have chosen to be “bound” to my family. My own mother was a very firm feminist and a fierce pro-ERA activist. I am a wife and mother. I do not work outside the home. I am a matriarch. And, I love it. The important point, I think, is that I feel I’ve actually been free to chose my path. I was blessed with many options. It’s sad and infuriating that his is not a luxury that most women in the world possess.

March 11, 2016 at 7:41am

Thank you mam for your views. I do really respect your views and decision to be bound to your family. As it is a cautious decision which you have taken among the given many other opportunities, you are on the safer side . because you are aware what you are doing.But it is pretty sad as the case is totally different in the case of majority of the females..how could we help them, atleast make them aware who they are.

• Micki Allen

March 11, 2016 at 8:45am

Oh, how I wish I knew the answer to your question! I hope that the more access women are afforded to witnessing other women who are freer to make their own positive choice, the more those who haven’t been given the chance to chose for themselves will have the courage and find the resources to take those steps in the right direction.

March 11, 2016 at 10:31am

Thanks a lot. I think it’s right move..we are on the same lines..

• Micki Allen

March 11, 2016 at 3:31pm

Absolutely! We women have to stick together and consciously support our sisters worldwide.

10. Sakthi

March 11, 2016 at 3:49am

It’s a topic which has different views! But still culture and religion play vital role in it!

March 11, 2016 at 7:33am

Yes.. culture and religion plays a role. And it varies from place to place. But I think the roots and the effects are the same every where. we need to find it out and help ourselves.

• Sakthi

March 11, 2016 at 7:34am

Exactly! Attitude and balancing matters when it comes to helping themselves.

March 11, 2016 at 8:39am

`thanks Sakthi..So how could we create that attitude within our sisters..?

• Sakthi

March 11, 2016 at 8:53am

Either they should be inspired from someone or we should be inspiration for them! that’s one of the possible way!

March 11, 2016 at 10:35am

Absolutely true dear friend..that’s the best possible way..let us inspire them..

• Sakthi

March 12, 2016 at 5:38am

Glad to hear! We all can and Thank you!

March 11, 2016 at 8:42am

Thank you Shivangi.. yes..I too go with Sreedevi.. We need to build that generation.

12. shreyakhetan

March 11, 2016 at 10:43am

This is such a great post, I loved it. Similar questions arose in my mind few days back and then I read this. Someone said it right, the most difficult barriers that we face are the ones we set for our own selves. But I don’t think that woman mentality is the sole reason that restricts her in achieving what she wants,for instance, in a country like India , the society has made such rules, that it’s downright impossible to achieve certain things. Though,( just like you said) there can be reasons for it !

13. davekingsbury

March 11, 2016 at 10:58am

Women’s rights have been an issue for a few decades only …these things take time but they are moving in the right direction. Interesting post.

March 11, 2016 at 11:06am

true…but I am not interested in a fight with society.. my point is on the unawareness of females about themselves. how they could be informed who they are

• davekingsbury

March 11, 2016 at 11:36am

Yes indeed! I just wondered whether women being equal would help them to lead the discussion.

March 11, 2016 at 1:03pm

if there is a will there is a way. and I have that will to boost my sisters. So definitely there will be a way.:)

14. aurawithwriting

March 11, 2016 at 8:18pm

Excellent post Akhila!!! This is a very deep rooted issue since ages. Women are bestowed with additional capabilities and emotions that might be a reason for them to be confined to family bonding. Imagine a world full of males, would it be as complete as it is with a world that has women? There are some special abilities in genders that make each of them what they are! But what a woman wants/does should be out of her choice and willingness, but not out of pressure/hindrance. But statements like these are not needed for men. That’s the issue in many cultures/countries, specially in India. But I feel things are changing for the better. Women are making choices. At the same time there are many who are struggling to raise their voice for what they want. If not for societal pressure, they tend to ‘CONVINCE’ themselves about not being capable. It could be because of the circumstances they grew up in or the situations they faced. As you said, the current generation needs to consider this big time! Treating each gender equally and allowing them to make choices should begin at every home. Because attitude is defined from our surroundings- the way we grow up and the way we are treated.

March 14, 2016 at 4:33am

Thanks a lot for your deep and detailed reply. I truly respect your attitude.
      I am not sure whether the situation is getting better or not. I can see many fights, many criticisms etc etc demanding gender equality. But is that enought..? Because what I feel is the root cause is within her mind. That mind block needs to be treated first and make her convinced about her capabilities. If each parent could take care of this, atleast we can build up a better next generation.. what else we can do for these women generation..?

• aurawithwriting

March 16, 2016 at 12:13am

Very true! I agree with you! No matter how many fights/ theories come up in favor of women’s rights, its the woman’s mind that plays a crucial role.

March 16, 2016 at 4:12pm

thank you. I am glad that we share the same views.

15. tomorrowdefinitely

March 11, 2016 at 8:34pm

I think it’s due to negative conditioning by society and by the family (and I was born in a ‘Western’ society). I have only found out who I am through a lot of pain and struggle and sometimes think, did it have to be like that?
    have a lovely weekend Akhila,
    Dagmar

March 14, 2016 at 4:26am

Yes.. proud of you as you know who you are.. And you suffered a lot of pain to reach that point. definitely, it is not the expected way, I think. So friend how can we help the rest..? how can we make them understand about their presence in the world..?

• tomorrowdefinitely

March 14, 2016 at 9:41am

women need to want to understand their presence in the world themselves.
        This desire will lead to them seeking means and ways of how to make themselves seen and heard. To matter. To be counted. To stand up for their rights and everyone else’s.
        The only way in my mind. But we can support and empower each other and this means a lot.
        Dagmar

March 16, 2016 at 4:40pm

Absolutely true..Women need to understand herself on her power and strength. And we need to help those who cannot.let us be united and work..

16. Mick Canning

March 11, 2016 at 10:15pm

If it is her attitude, then she has it because society imposed it upon her from birth, I’m afraid.

March 14, 2016 at 4:23am

Yes.. If it was society imposed it upon her, then is there a recovery for her.. How could she be helped..?
      thank you for your comments.

17. bhumi

March 14, 2016 at 7:47am

well written…and truely said…we should support each other..& make a difference…

March 14, 2016 at 7:49am

Thank you Bhumika.. So let us find ways to help each other and make this world more beautiful to those women who don’t understand themselves.

18. Tanya

March 14, 2016 at 9:43am

society always expect more and more from a girl sometimes our family also do the same i couldnt understand why they do that so, we are also human but ofcourse we can help each other there is still a hope 🙂

March 16, 2016 at 4:35pm

Yes. There is hope and that hope motivated me to post this. we need to work if that hope needs to be fruitful.. So how could we help these women generation..?
      Thanks a lot Tanya for reading and commenting.

19. pins & ashes

March 14, 2016 at 4:53pm

Good Questions Akhila. But we all need to take a step back… upbringing plays a huge role. Take for example, if a boy cries and if he is told or asked why you acting like a girl or when a girl takes a stand, she is described as a man… I think these instances begin the formation of what is a boy and a girl. And it grows.. Add to these many such taunts and teases as they grow up. You sound like a girl! Why do you have a boy cut.. after this kind of upbringing when a woman or man wants to change or rather empower themselves it becomes very difficult! I am not saying boys should cry or girls shouldn’t climb trees… But when such comparisons are made repeatedly they stick on .. ) ideas are formed on what a boy and a girl is, roles as set as to what they should do or is expected to do…

March 16, 2016 at 4:32pm

Ha.. a great reply.. You have an intelligent point.. I have heard these statements many a time and I also wondered why it is like that. Yes the main reason starts from the childhood. A kid is grown up in that way to tune her/him to a boy or a girl. And are these pre-claims a shameful on the mankind..? It is destructing the creativity of human. hey are forced to move in a particular way. How could we come out of this crisis..?

• pins & ashes

March 16, 2016 at 5:12pm

We need to change I guess and stop referring to these differences. And grow up as siblings or children rather than a daughter and a son.. I guess .. ! 🙂

March 17, 2016 at 8:19am

Absolutely true. i liked it..grow up as siblings or children rather than a daughter and a son
          have a great time…

• pins & ashes

June 25, 2016 at 7:21pm

I see I have spoketh! it is in your hands Akhila (your partner’s) how you bring up your offspring.. things need to start changing at that level 🙂 (I have been reading you since March .. wow, I thought he connection was as recent as May)

June 25, 2016 at 7:23pm

oh.. okay.. okay.. I remember your comments now..

20. Christina

March 14, 2016 at 9:01pm

This is a great & thought provoking post. One without an easy answer. I grew up feeling very equal to my male counterpart. That is my culture, my father’s culture. Both of my parents worked; both cooked; both played their roles in the household. So, I do know how strong a woman can be; I do know a woman’s worth. Right now, my sons are young; one is 5 & one younger than 2 years; our daughter is 14. I choose to stay home with them (I work part time, but not very often). I choose to drive them to & from school or bus stops; I choose to cook & to clean. My husband supports this decision, but does not demand it. I will go back to school soon, & then work more often, & my husband supports that as well. We come from different cultures, but work together as husband & wife to raise our family in a manner that we both agree on through compromise. Our daughter will be raised & is being raised to know she is equal. She will be encouraged to find her own happiness, & her own path. Not all women are raised this way, though, whether that be because of their culture, religion, or another reason. But, we can’t assume these women are unhappy, or that they don’t know their worth. One of the hardest jobs, and most rewarding, is keeping one’s house & home. All we can do is educate, & let people, cultures, religions, etc adapt in their own time & in their own way. I hope this makes sense, lol .. Sorry it’s so lengthy! Thank you for the post.

March 16, 2016 at 4:24pm

Thanks a lot christina for sharing your experience and it sounds really great. I am pretty happy to know your culture. As you told, it varies from place to place, religion to religion etc. And I agree with you totally that the most appreciable job is the building up of family itself. I am not telling like none of them are aware of their worth or value, but definitely a very little will be aware. Education is the best solution. but you know still there are limits. A good parent only can fill those gaps. let us hope for the best and a better generation

• Christina

March 16, 2016 at 6:16pm

I was blessed in how I was brought up, as an equal encouraged to think for herself. And, I am blessed to have a husband who supports this as well. Not everyone has that luxury. I agree with you .. There are limits to what we can do to remedy each situation. And, yes, education is the best solution. I wish there were easier answers …

21. Josh

March 15, 2016 at 4:53am

I feel, change is happening, things are much better than it used to be, just looking into the positive aspects 🙂 Good day!

Josh

March 16, 2016 at 4:15pm

Thank you Josh.
      Yes. Things are better. But better than what..? That’s what puzzles me. There are evidences in the history revealing a better state of women. But later it got changed and then became worse. And now may be a little better. But donno, where it’s going.. Is this the expected positive change..? Doubtful..
      Wish you too a good day ahead.

• Josh

March 17, 2016 at 3:29am

All depends from one person’s perspective, btw I have come across stunning women who really inspires the way we look at life, no matter what happened, they keep going, we arrive at an opinion based on our experience, in that way, and that’s how i derived at the so called “Things are Better”, Good day 🙂

Josh

March 17, 2016 at 8:15am

Thank you friend. Wish you too good and let us ope for the best..

22. shwethashenoy

March 18, 2016 at 4:46am

Hi Akhila.
    Great post. I am a doctor-mother-wife. Not necessarily in that order always. I think what holds women back is the ” I-want-to-be-an-all-rounder-and- I- will.” I try to be the best at work, I want to be that mom who is volunteering at school, that wife who dresses like a dream. I want to be that person who has it all sorted. This puts an immense stress on me. Proving my self to the world.
    The “man-world” has not made us into this. We have so bought it on ourselves and stereotyped our roles and passed it on as inheritance to our children who are told to follow and not lead.

March 18, 2016 at 8:19am

You said an important point. we always advise the kids to follow. And we have some pre-defined statements like a girl is supposed to do this, it’s a girl who cries etc etc.. the moment we start thinking about it, we will understand that the great discriminations starts at home itself. And there lies the importance of parents. it matters a lot, how they treat their kids. Kids will reciprocate whatever they learned at home.
      Thanks a lot Shwetha for your thoughtful reply

March 18, 2016 at 8:58am

yes.. let us try t change this pre- conditions and and make it an unconditioned world

• Shwetha

April 5, 2016 at 5:25am

I have a son and a daughter. It’s time for me to practice what I preach.

23. anaghamurali

April 21, 2016 at 11:19am

women loses her identity trying to please everyone….but half the set of women consider this as a part of life…..but for a person with my outlook..its hard..
    .to be frank i dont like complaining…..I will tell you my story….my mom scolds me one day why are you standing out when guest come to house….the same people come after some days my mom scolds why are you not coming out when guest arrive,,,,,,this is my life….confused state….just a funny incident
    they ask us not to do…..and tells who is bounding you…..your thinking is wrong,,,,,we give you full freedom,,,,,,but not allowed to speak to people without their consent….
    we turn introvert because we try our best to please everyone….and we are scared what they will think….

April 21, 2016 at 11:48am

yes. this is a confused state. And somehow we are forced to please everyone and there by losing our identity. and that discrimination is fed into the blood of each growing child. we need some work around ..I am trying..

24. Karina Pinella

April 24, 2016 at 5:02am

In addition to starting from within, it must be followed through to continue the self-awareness by getting involved in civic actions and duties because it is the laws and policies that will either support or discourage the change you want to make. For example, the inequity in wages. Men in general make more money than women. Why? Because men are seen as the breadwinner; they have to provide for the family, so they are paid more. Women are seen as getting pregnant and then leaving the workplace so they are not taken so seriously or placed in higher regard. Understand that this is very simplistic example and stereotypical, but not too incorrect. Women themselves reinforce this because those who have sons tend to tell their sons to go get good jobs to support their family. They’re not told be a good father and stay home and raise your children. They say this to the women. That is because women really want the control and control starts at home. It is the women who ultimately dictates. That is the irony in all this. We are not weak. We want too much control and we have only so much energy and time, so ultimately we choose to be the ones to stay home to raise the child because we can’t trust the men.

April 27, 2016 at 4:45am

Thanks a lot karina for the detailed reply and expressing your open views. You are right, in the sense, that change needs to happen from the women herself. it is she who makes herself suppressed. I was also sharing the same point through my post. if she needs to be raised up, the thoughts needs to be fed in her own mind.If she can’t be changed all of a sudden, it is her responsibility to make a better generation with gender equality.

25. mySestina

May 10, 2016 at 3:34pm

Great Post Akhila!! You have come up so well with the issue… how since birth, a girl is treated differently… surely not the best way.. comments like “girls always cry” and many other things make you feel so low at times…

May 10, 2016 at 3:38pm

thanks my friend..this is injustice.. but i don’t want to fight with the society as I believe, it’s not the society alone who made her in this way..
      Her thoughts need to be changed.. how can we make her come out of the situation..? how can we make her aware of her strengths..?

• mySestina

May 10, 2016 at 3:40pm

we can start for the change to happen… it will take centuries though… but still we can only achieve something if we start it…

May 10, 2016 at 3:41pm

yes absolutely.. I am glad that I met similar minded people..
          let us take this seriously..i need your views on how to take it forward..

26. myheartbeats4ublog

May 13, 2016 at 5:01pm

thaaangalude choice of topics is great. My comments reserved on this topic(pinneedu parayaam ketto)

27. Ratika Bhardwaj

July 10, 2016 at 10:57pm

Yea Akhila..its the same voice reckoning in my poem. 🙂 We ourselves at some point are responsible for being minor in society. (y)

28. Vocal Pendulum

November 14, 2016 at 11:32am

Nice post! And I would like to add more to the first bit. Even I used to begin some writings with an apologetic ‘I am no feminist’, but that changed when I came across this quote by Caitlin Moran on How to Be a Woman:

a) Do you have a vagina?
    b) Do you want to be in charge of it?

If you said ‘yes’ to both, then congratulations! You’re a feminist.”

It is certainly a refreshing way to decide if you are a feminist or not. For the gentleman out there who believe that both sexes are equal (and I say equal, not same), congratulations, you are a Feminist too…!

November 14, 2016 at 11:34am

aww… a different way of thinking…thanks for adding your bits as it make me thinking

• Vocal Pendulum

November 14, 2016 at 11:37am

You are much welcome dear! Our movies with the self-righteous ‘society-ladies’ who make it their business to boss around others and forcing their weakling husbands to groom the pet dogs have made most of us cringe when we hear the word ‘feminist’. It is not a bad thing after all.

29. thatmate

March 1, 2017 at 9:31am

hey Akhila would like to publish your posts on our blog..I hope you don’t mind