Never be a workaholic..

When I joined the IT industry, had so many butterfly dreams as many others.. .

Getting a word of appreciation, being motivated, showing a mark of uniqueness etc , etc.. the list goes on.

My dreams were built upon my motto. And no doubt, that I was pretty happy even under my tight schedule and work pressure. But later on, experiences proved that my motto was not adequate in a professional world. It lacked a BUSINESS EYE.

Let me share a few lessons which I experienced.  I am quite sure that whatever may be the profession, a business eye is the most essential thing required.

1. Give and Take policy : When you offer ‘x’ to someone today, ensure that you get 2X tomorrow
  2. Never allow others to take your shoe until you get a better one.
  3. Understand that Managers are always “Managers”. Every manager will have a business eye upon your talents. With a few inspiring words, a manager could easily convert you talents to profit. Ensure you also get your share of profit. If you believe your managers blindly, you are lost.
  4. Do protest when you are sure of positive results. Otherwise quietly quit.
  5. The last, but the most important is ‘why don’t you think about becoming your own boss’.. Be an entrepreneur..

One thought on “Never be a workaholic..

1. aurawithwriting

March 17, 2016 at 5:21pm

Loved it! This seems so true in IT industry. Thing is, the managers just do their job. But it takes a while for a fresher entering this ‘fancy world in disguise’ to realize the tactics to survive in the industry.

March 18, 2016 at 9:02am

Yes.. Absolutely true.. it takes much time for a fresher to understand the politics in an IT world. And once she/he starts realizing it, it would be much much late..

2. theonlysup

March 17, 2016 at 8:38pm

5) become leader without title. i mean be a leader in whatever role u play .. time tested thing. you will grow ..
    ofcourse you are hired for making profits, for ur skills to be utilised .. if its a win – lose situation then whats the use. both parties should gain ..

March 18, 2016 at 9:00am

yes.. both parties should be profitable. Otherwise there is no point in continuing the work.
      Time may prove one’s worth and we need to be patient. 😉

3. jncthedc

March 18, 2016 at 3:00am

It takes a little courage to stand “outside the box” and take on the world. Those with integrity and a strong work ethic will find the experience rewarding. It’s not easy, but most things in life we find worthwhile require persistence and great energy.

March 18, 2016 at 8:49am

yes. It’s not easy. Infact from my experience, it’s easy to be dedicated and hardworking if that attitude is there in one’s blood. Even it’s not difficult to be unique if there is passion. My point was on the business side of it. it’s not that easy. There is a saying, crying baby gets milk first’

March 18, 2016 at 8:23am

Thank you sakthi. Glad that you liked it..
      every action has an equal an opposite reaction 😉

• Sakthi

March 18, 2016 at 8:53am

Glad you have written something about workaholic! Exactly so we will stick with Newton’s 3rd law!

March 18, 2016 at 8:57am

Yes.. true.. Sakthi, how will you compare this with your work culture.. is it better..?

• Sakthi

March 18, 2016 at 9:02am

Your views are right for the current trend! But my way of approaching is different, i want action to define a person and look for result. It can either success or failure, the result matters. The company always looks for results and returns from employees through different business.

March 18, 2016 at 9:03am

Hmm.. good point..how long you are working..?

• Sakthi

March 18, 2016 at 9:04am

Glad you accepted my point! Almost 9 years! how about you?

March 18, 2016 at 9:36am

yes. me too joined IT industry in 2005

• Sakthi

March 18, 2016 at 9:45am

Good 🙂 Knowledge is ocean and plenty to learn!

4. bisimodupe1975

March 18, 2016 at 7:38am

I guess many of us are scared to step into the unknown world of an enteprenuer. But i believe letting go of all the “ifs” will help. Insightful post, Akhila.

March 18, 2016 at 8:13am

Absolutely true.. there may be different different reasons holding us back .And success lies when we can be freed from those ifs.

• krupajnanda

March 18, 2016 at 9:02am

I guess 8 out of 10 people suffer this thing! But not each people have guts to overcome what they faced. People become used about this and they do not take initiatives even!

March 18, 2016 at 9:06am

Absolutely a wise statement that you made. people are often afraid to come out of this crisis. They just don’t bother about it..I donno why people simple allow themselves to be under someone’s foot

6. dhirajanand

March 30, 2016 at 6:44am

Lesson learnt and noted, Thanks for sharing the value able things.

March 30, 2016 at 6:48am

You are welcome Dhiraj..wish you a great time ahead..So how’s your IT experience..?

• dhirajanand

March 30, 2016 at 6:54am

Thanks and wish you the same. I’m thoroughly a sales guy, not connected to IT sector but the learnings are the same even in non IT.

8. Varsh

August 4, 2016 at 2:17pm

I tried my stint at it and I know I can’t work under anyone. I was too dedicated an employee which is never good.
    The last option works best for people who can actually afford to take the leap!

9. Masoom Jethwa

August 4, 2016 at 7:17pm

Very interesting post ! I can easily see a marketeer in some people in IT industry ! Relocatable !

August 5, 2016 at 11:42am

to be an Entrepreneur is the best option.. but it is not an everyone’s cup of tea as vickie told.

August 5, 2016 at 11:43am

17 years in the same company.. how you become a part of the furniture.. why didnt think of a change..

August 5, 2016 at 11:56am

oh.. from IT to police..wht a change…what next..?

• Bikramjit

August 5, 2016 at 12:25pm

No idea mam. .trying to write a little piece of software and then sell.. Let’s see