Never be a workaholic..

By | March 17, 2016

When I joined the IT industry, had so many butterfly dreams as many others.. .

Getting a word of appreciation, being motivated, showing a mark of uniqueness etc , etc.. the list goes on.

My dreams were built upon my motto. And no doubt, that I was pretty happy even under my tight schedule and work pressure. But later on, experiences proved that my motto was not adequate in a professional world. It lacked a BUSINESS EYE.

Let me share a few lessons which I experienced.  I am quite sure that whatever may be the profession, a business eye is the most essential thing required.

1. Give and Take policy : When you offer ‘x’ to someone today, ensure that you get 2X tomorrow
  2. Never allow others to take your shoe until you get a better one.
  3. Understand that Managers are always “Managers”. Every manager will have a business eye upon your talents. With a few inspiring words, a manager could easily convert you talents to profit. Ensure you also get your share of profit. If you believe your managers blindly, you are lost.
  4. Do protest when you are sure of positive results. Otherwise quietly quit.
  5. The last, but the most important is ‘why don’t you think about becoming your own boss’.. Be an entrepreneur..

0 thoughts on “Never be a workaholic..

1. aurawithwriting

Loved it! This seems so true in IT industry. Thing is, the managers just do their job. But it takes a while for a fresher entering this ‘fancy world in disguise’ to realize the tactics to survive in the industry.

Yes.. Absolutely true.. it takes much time for a fresher to understand the politics in an IT world. And once she/he starts realizing it, it would be much much late..

2. theonlysup

5) become leader without title. i mean be a leader in whatever role u play .. time tested thing. you will grow ..
    ofcourse you are hired for making profits, for ur skills to be utilised .. if its a win – lose situation then whats the use. both parties should gain ..

yes.. both parties should be profitable. Otherwise there is no point in continuing the work.
      Time may prove one’s worth and we need to be patient. 😉

3. jncthedc

It takes a little courage to stand “outside the box” and take on the world. Those with integrity and a strong work ethic will find the experience rewarding. It’s not easy, but most things in life we find worthwhile require persistence and great energy.

yes. It’s not easy. Infact from my experience, it’s easy to be dedicated and hardworking if that attitude is there in one’s blood. Even it’s not difficult to be unique if there is passion. My point was on the business side of it. it’s not that easy. There is a saying, crying baby gets milk first’

Thank you sakthi. Glad that you liked it..
      every action has an equal an opposite reaction 😉

1. Sakthi

Glad you have written something about workaholic! Exactly so we will stick with Newton’s 3rd law!

Yes.. true.. Sakthi, how will you compare this with your work culture.. is it better..?

1. Sakthi

Your views are right for the current trend! But my way of approaching is different, i want action to define a person and look for result. It can either success or failure, the result matters. The company always looks for results and returns from employees through different business.

4. bisimodupe1975

I guess many of us are scared to step into the unknown world of an enteprenuer. But i believe letting go of all the “ifs” will help. Insightful post, Akhila.

Absolutely true.. there may be different different reasons holding us back .And success lies when we can be freed from those ifs.

1. krupajnanda

I guess 8 out of 10 people suffer this thing! But not each people have guts to overcome what they faced. People become used about this and they do not take initiatives even!

Absolutely a wise statement that you made. people are often afraid to come out of this crisis. They just don’t bother about it..I donno why people simple allow themselves to be under someone’s foot

You are welcome Dhiraj..wish you a great time ahead..So how’s your IT experience..?

1. dhirajanand

Thanks and wish you the same. I’m thoroughly a sales guy, not connected to IT sector but the learnings are the same even in non IT.

5. Varsh

I tried my stint at it and I know I can’t work under anyone. I was too dedicated an employee which is never good.
    The last option works best for people who can actually afford to take the leap!

to be an Entrepreneur is the best option.. but it is not an everyone’s cup of tea as vickie told.

17 years in the same company.. how you become a part of the furniture.. why didnt think of a change..