Make yourself in demand

busynesSome days back I approached Mr B. And I checked whether he is available to take up some seminars. I was almost confident of his positive reply. But to my surprise, he politely denied my request.

He claimed to be too busy and so couldn’t be freed from his tight schedule. He said like he is shuttling from place to place and in between that he is not in a condition to take up one more task.

Hearing this I became a little down all of a sudden, but I was determined. I gently commented on the goodness of his work and how highly I am in need of his work. (And truly his work was wonderful and that’s why I was behind him.)

And finally I succeeded. He agreed to take up my work with certain conditions (not any harmful conditions for me). I was so happy that my plan worked out…

Now what do you feel on this..?

Was it not his business tactic? Otherwise how he could manage his time that was said to be bounded in the tight schedule..? If he was literally busy, how could he spend time for me? (He was that much adamant to take up my task initially.)

When he denied my requests initially, I was having the feeler that “he is such a great busy men and I should not lose him”. So now it became my goal to utilise his skills. And later when he agreed upon, I thought like ‘he became willing to take up my tasks, hearing my words’. But he actually made me to demand for him.. wasn’t it ?

In fact it was his marketing strategy..So actually he was winning in the game and not me, as I thought.

Yes, there played the great business tactic:

Deny the initial request politely, portraying  your busyness and finally make the other person strongly demand for you. There lies the success of your business game

Or do you think that it was me who win in the above situation..? ; )

The author is a Quality Analyst by experience. Part Quantitative data analyst, part consultant for quality and information security practices, part software tester, she is a writer by passion and blogs at https://wordsandnotion.com and https://qualitynotion.com/.

One thought on “Make yourself in demand

1. mySestina

May 19, 2016 at 1:10pm

i guess both are winners… he earned a job that shall pay him and you earned his good work…

• mySestina

May 19, 2016 at 1:20pm

why not… it is a win win… after a little reluctance, he felt a little in demand that boosted his morale and you get to get the good work done by him.. he surely will try to do his best to please you…

May 19, 2016 at 1:21pm

hmm..good..but i learned a new lesson from the interaction with him..

• mySestina

May 19, 2016 at 1:23pm

Hmm, well I am not aware of the whole conversation.. so maybe can’t comment on that

May 19, 2016 at 1:24pm

fine.. whatever may the conversation behind it, haven’t you felt the need of that business tactic in your life..?

2. avinamdar

May 19, 2016 at 2:01pm

Business strategy always depends on the competition. If his competitors were as good as him, he wouldn’t dare deny even once, for you would’ve gone to them. True businessmen never say no to a client. They will first make sure they cannot fit you in before denying even once. And if they deny then they are truly too busy to accommodate you. But everyone has a different strategy, so it varies on an individual basis too.

May 19, 2016 at 2:57pm

well,
      in my experience it is totally a reverse scenario.
      infact when you are denying, you are increasing your own demand, forcing others to think so. it can create an added value, definitely. and you need to be confident on the returns too

• avinamdar

May 19, 2016 at 3:04pm

Yes, perhaps that strategy works too. But in current conditions, people have started moving on to things that are available. Instant gratification is the demand of the current generation. That’s the reason netflix is working and starting to beat television. On demand, people no longer wait. Either you give them what they need or they will find it somewhere else. And these days due to globalisation, there are plenty of options. So I would suggest a change in strategy to keep up with the markets and competition. This is of course my personal view as a businessman and I’m not saying that it’s the only way things should be done. But times are changing and they are changing at lightning speeds.

May 19, 2016 at 3:07pm

hmm.. may be..as you said, perspectives vary from people to people ..tactics also.. the best played are best served.

May 19, 2016 at 4:29pm

yes.. learning does not end there. It is complete when we are able to use it.. you said it thank you

4. extinct0703

May 19, 2016 at 5:13pm

He won cause he checked the demand-supply gap, with your gestures after first denial.

5. Shivangi

May 19, 2016 at 7:57pm

Great situation you described here and gave us food for thought. He seems to be a clever one but atleast you also got your job done. Win win for both!

May 19, 2016 at 8:25pm

yes.. may be a win-win.. but it was a smart strategy which he adopted
      Thanks Shivangi..

6. Sakthi

May 25, 2016 at 10:16am

It’s hard to comment since opinion vary depending upon the individual! In the end, knowledge was shared!

• Sakthi

May 25, 2016 at 10:20am

How do you chose topic for your blog? experience or thoughts?

May 25, 2016 at 10:25am

mainly experience..and you know, experience doesn’t means something happening in our life.. for me it is anything leaving my mind busy..so could be thoughts driven out of experience..

• Sakthi

May 25, 2016 at 10:28am

okay got it! Thank you for sharing your sharp thoughts!

May 25, 2016 at 10:30am

And you know, you are sharing quotes which is best matching to my days..really the best start for a day

• Sakthi

May 25, 2016 at 10:40am

Glad to know:) Wishfully you can achieve your goals in future!

May 25, 2016 at 10:41am

yes, I have to.. and wish you too the very best..

7. ssunshine14

May 25, 2016 at 3:35pm

Greater the demand, greater the need to show off what they are not just to maintain a level above all the ordinary ones..

May 25, 2016 at 3:38pm

yes.. and they have their own tactics and ways to show off