Brain makes decision seconds before you are aware of it

By | November 22, 2016

Yesterday I was chatting with my friend over phone. After sometime, we said bye and were about to disconnect the call. While I was just disconnecting the call, I heard her voice from the other side asking me something more. But without sensing it fully, the call had been disconnected by my hands..

My hands could not be prevented from disconnecting the call, while I was hearing her voice.

Is it like hands acting ahead of brain..? Senses to hands are also given by brain.. If so why such timing issue?

This is not a single incident. I felt it many a times, in many occasions (not merely in phone calls)

The call was not actually disconnected, that’s why I heard her voice partially. But all of a sudden hands acted to cut the call. May be the instructions were given to hands ahead of time and hands were simply acting accordingly.

reflexIt is told that brain takes decision 7 seconds before our conscious mind becomes aware of them.

May be the decision to cut the call was taken by brain 7 seconds ahead of time. And hands acted accordingly. In the meantime brain changed its decision recognizing that the other person is talking.But the call was already disconnected by the time conscious mind became aware of the brain’s changed decision.

But even then, why it could not take any reflex actions or changed actions according to new circumstances..?

0 thoughts on “Brain makes decision seconds before you are aware of it

1. Sakthi

As you made the conclusion with perfect scenario! Our reaction time is 7 seconds delay!

hmm..in fact it was a new information for me. After drafting my post, I just googled my scenario to find out if any scientific reasons. there it is.. found this 7 seconds delay issue

2. Jackie Jain

Yes well said Akhila.. In some cases it is true.. Even I have experienced such situations, when our senses work ahead of our brain as they were instructed in before hand. But I think this logic doesn’t work everywhere, as if in cricket when a bowler bowls a ball, the batsman have less than a second time to time the ball. In that time he has to time the ball so nothing is decided in before hand here. I think when we are in a situation when timing is not important, our senses work ahead of time.. Just a guess..

Good evening.. 🙂

Thanks friend.. I am happy to know that you also had similar experiences.
      have a good day.. and I liked your analogy in cricket bowling..

3. Nitin

Yes. You are right on point. Subconscious (Fast thinking) makes that hand act and disconnect the call. Nice read, and well written. 🙂

Thanks nitin. It’s always a wonder to think about the instructor of brain. .

yes it is.. but it is there as per scientific evidences.. In my cases I felt one or two seconds delay. haven’t you experienced it..?

4. neah007

Maybe it’s the other way round. Perhaps your conscious mind was aware of it, but the brain didn’t have the time to assess the information and make a decision, or even stop your hands.
    But on the other hand, if your friend had the habit of speaking even after bye, you might have subconsciously expected it. In that case I don’t think you’d cut the call so fast.

he he.. you are too funny…you just transformed the entire case to a new platform. i liked this new approach. thanks friend. have a good day

5. myheartbeats4ublog

As usual, very thought provoking article. But agree with neah007…. But true, the command – action delay is very much there… Also liked the ‘cricket’ example in one of the comments…

1. vishal4u

Well I agree that I have been conscious but you took it ahead and found out why such happened. Your curiosity is admirable. Need to learn it soon.

6. Bikramjit

I have no clue.. I did Google tooo after reading the first couple of comments too.. wow human brain is a mystery..

You made a good observation .. 7 seconds is a long time….

7. Meenakshi Sethi

I’m loving your posts Akhila! They are giving me mew wisdom and food of thoughts to my brain! Thank you!
    And you are right I felt the same many times!

8. 2ndhalfolife

That’s like when you start to shut the car door but know you left the keys inside…but you shut it anyway. And just as you push it, you want to grab it, but it’s too late…..