Don’t sleep in the North-South directions

My grandmother used to advise me to sleep in the East West direction. Initially, I thought it to be some traditional belief of old generation. Later on I came to know about the magnetic field acting behind the same.
Yes, the North-South direction of Earth has a big role to play here.

Earth is a big magnet. The magnetic field lines of earth spread across North-South directions.

And you know, our body acting as a conductor, pass current while lying in the same field directions of earth.  This current passing through our brain can cause pressure on it leading to haemorrhages and paralytic strokes depending upon the strength of our body system.

But still I doubt..is the Earth’s magnetic field so strong to have any noticeable impact on the currents in our brain ?

One thought on “Don’t sleep in the North-South directions

2. extinct0703

May 2, 2016 at 10:20am

Ek sawal main karu kya?

Can I take a power nap on my work chair, if there’s no work and no visitors around?

3. cleveridiotblog

May 2, 2016 at 10:59am

I dont know. I mean it’s a subject jispr baith k sochne se kuch ni hoga. It’s strange. Hmmmmmm *thinking and scratching my head*

May 2, 2016 at 4:11pm

Dhiraj..? was it the same blog which you used earlier..?

6. TylerLearnsToWrite

May 2, 2016 at 4:46pm

Well. How strong ? Magnetic field is one reason why charged particle like solar wind don’t enter the earth but move around. If not for the magnetic field, we won’t be having a atmosphere 🙂

• TylerLearnsToWrite

May 2, 2016 at 5:00pm

I heard/advised of two possible direction for good long sleep. But I don’t remember it now. 🙂

May 3, 2016 at 3:56am

i think keeping your head towards East direction will be the best always

• Sakthi

May 3, 2016 at 4:31am

We can feel when you sleep in the direction mentioned by your grandmom, you can feel the energy loss next day!

8. pins & ashes

May 3, 2016 at 6:55pm

All those ganesha stories from the myths..! 🙂 I’ve also heard/read that even our body has a north and south. So when we sleep with the north of our body (head region) towards the north of the earth, it repels. So north south sleeping. While sleeping the other way round it, since it is a case of opposite poles attract is a better position ..

May 4, 2016 at 3:42am

hmm.. I also heard about this attractive and repulsive forces. But the explanation with electromagnetic induction found more convincing for me..i.e our body acting as a conductor, lying in the N-S directions cut the earth’s magnetic flux and induce current in out body

• A

November 29, 2016 at 10:22am

That’s for people with brains .. not my problem you see😂

November 29, 2016 at 10:06am

Ah.. this is an old saying…i too was unaware of the wise thought behind the same.. but seems it has something to convey

• vishal4u

November 29, 2016 at 1:46pm

Yes it surely has something thing to convey. Mythology and science have face face off every now and then.

November 29, 2016 at 2:01pm

True..instead of blindly believing it, we just need to understand it properly

11. theonlysup

November 29, 2016 at 10:50am

i dont worry much about vaastu but few things which gives me scientific reason are to be considered .

November 29, 2016 at 10:57am

Same pinch, Akhila! My grandmother told me that too and I obediently obeyed without questioning ‘why’? It was a death in the family that caused my father to explain the real reason behind it. Thanks for the reminder and the informative post!
    Good Day!

November 29, 2016 at 11:53am

good morning Pranitha…may be our grand mothers were friends..

13. Sweta Ojha

November 29, 2016 at 12:10pm

I’ve grown up hearing the same. Thank you for the great insight! 🙂

14. boundlessblessingsblog

November 29, 2016 at 12:11pm

Good and informative post and yes there is a scientific reason for all this and the old people knew so much in depth knowledge. Great post.

November 29, 2016 at 12:15pm

very true…it’s a wise old saying…infact i just obeyed as i dont want to hurt my grandma..but later on, when i came to knew these facts, i really respect those words

15. Abdul Afeef

November 29, 2016 at 12:34pm

The normal practice and Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saws) was that he would sleep on his right side with his right cheek resting on the right palm of his hand.

November 29, 2016 at 10:20pm

Ya…something should be there inhis logic

16. Gastradamus

November 29, 2016 at 1:02pm

Thats an interesting post . it makes me think twice about which way to lay. Gastradamus is taking off but we need your feedback. Please let us know what you think of Queen Kong and I

17. Varsh

November 29, 2016 at 2:51pm

I don’t know about the magnetic field logic…but yes we were told never to keep our feet in south while sleeping. It is bad vastu wise. Guess there’s logic behind it afterall.

November 29, 2016 at 10:17pm

There has to be a logic..and this was the best explanation i could agree

• Varsh

November 29, 2016 at 10:19pm

Same here. I heard it from a few people but no one knew why.

18. radhikasreflection

November 29, 2016 at 3:38pm

The rules laid down by our ancestors always had a scientific reason behind it…..only they didn’t know how to explain it well.

November 29, 2016 at 10:16pm

Very true…they didn’t know how to explain and neither we give a try …or ended up those gool old sayings in a mess.

19. novelistbaba

November 29, 2016 at 3:57pm

there is significant amount of magnetism on the surface, and the brain activity is through flow of ions……..also every synapse is practically current flow……and there is iron in blood………and there is a force on current carrying conductor in a magnetic field…………..so to simplify……..i sleep in east west direction, except at hotels, they get angry when you move the furniture…..

20. DARKLOVE9095

November 29, 2016 at 5:14pm

The population has grown so much now that I feel pity for the earth’s magnetic field… The increase in the number of conductors have diminished it’s magnitude

21. fairykumar

November 29, 2016 at 9:34pm

There are soo many things which people say and few are good but reasons are still unknown!

November 29, 2016 at 10:12pm

Yes..and like Chinese whispers it gets changed over a period of time

22. novelistbaba

November 29, 2016 at 10:23pm

Yes!!! I am actually asleep…….this is all a dream ! 😀 😀

November 29, 2016 at 10:25pm

Ah..so who knows whether you are in a new universe while waking up

• novelistbaba

November 29, 2016 at 10:33pm

I hope i have been sleeping east west in that one too……if that is anything similar

23. Jahnavi

November 29, 2016 at 11:14pm

After Reading this post, I feel there must be a logic behind many age old traditions..in the course of time, traditions were passed on to the next generation while leaving behind the logic.. this bought a superstition tag to many meaningful ones..an insightful post this is 🙂

24. Subhash

November 30, 2016 at 12:22am

Thanks for sharing. In fact we are surrounded by an ocean of waves. Mobile waves micro waves ….

November 30, 2016 at 10:57am

yess.. the Electromagnetic waves are increased day by day

25. thepoetscreed

November 30, 2016 at 1:41am

Wow… Now I know what’s wrong with my brain. I can blame on the magnetic force field …Haha

26. davekingsbury

November 30, 2016 at 3:00am

I often end up in bed at a right angle to where I started – perhaps my body knows something I don’t …

November 30, 2016 at 10:47am

ha ha…currents waving in your head should be due to over sleeping..;)

28. gilian

November 30, 2016 at 2:18pm

This made me think. Haha now, how to know where south and north are. 🙂