Don’t sleep in the North-South directions

By | November 29, 2016

My grandmother used to advise me to sleep in the East West direction. Initially, I thought it to be some traditional belief of old generation. Later on I came to know about the magnetic field acting behind the same.
Yes, the North-South direction of Earth has a big role to play here.

Earth is a big magnet. The magnetic field lines of earth spread across North-South directions.

And you know, our body acting as a conductor, pass current while lying in the same field directions of earth.  This current passing through our brain can cause pressure on it leading to haemorrhages and paralytic strokes depending upon the strength of our body system.

But still I doubt..is the Earth’s magnetic field so strong to have any noticeable impact on the currents in our brain ?

0 thoughts on “Don’t sleep in the North-South directions

1. extinct0703

Ek sawal main karu kya?

Can I take a power nap on my work chair, if there’s no work and no visitors around?

2. cleveridiotblog

I dont know. I mean it’s a subject jispr baith k sochne se kuch ni hoga. It’s strange. Hmmmmmm *thinking and scratching my head*

oh my God…such a long name…Earlier you were using dhirajanand.wordpress.com.. It’s not existing now..changed to this..?

3. TylerLearnsToWrite

Well. How strong ? Magnetic field is one reason why charged particle like solar wind don’t enter the earth but move around. If not for the magnetic field, we won’t be having a atmosphere 🙂

i think keeping your head towards East direction will be the best always

1. Sakthi

We can feel when you sleep in the direction mentioned by your grandmom, you can feel the energy loss next day!

no no.. I won’t disobey my grandmother;)

2. Sakthi

I know you won’t disobey your grandmothers words but now it was said by me to make know how you feel 🙂

4. pins & ashes

All those ganesha stories from the myths..! 🙂 I’ve also heard/read that even our body has a north and south. So when we sleep with the north of our body (head region) towards the north of the earth, it repels. So north south sleeping. While sleeping the other way round it, since it is a case of opposite poles attract is a better position ..

hmm.. I also heard about this attractive and repulsive forces. But the explanation with electromagnetic induction found more convincing for me..i.e our body acting as a conductor, lying in the N-S directions cut the earth’s magnetic flux and induce current in out body

Ah.. this is an old saying…i too was unaware of the wise thought behind the same.. but seems it has something to convey

1. vishal4u

Yes it surely has something thing to convey. Mythology and science have face face off every now and then.

Same pinch, Akhila! My grandmother told me that too and I obediently obeyed without questioning ‘why’? It was a death in the family that caused my father to explain the real reason behind it. Thanks for the reminder and the informative post!
    Good Day!

very true…it’s a wise old saying…infact i just obeyed as i dont want to hurt my grandma..but later on, when i came to knew these facts, i really respect those words

7. Abdul Afeef

The normal practice and Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saws) was that he would sleep on his right side with his right cheek resting on the right palm of his hand.

8. Gastradamus

Thats an interesting post . it makes me think twice about which way to lay. Gastradamus is taking off but we need your feedback. Please let us know what you think of Queen Kong and I

9. Varsh

I don’t know about the magnetic field logic…but yes we were told never to keep our feet in south while sleeping. It is bad vastu wise. Guess there’s logic behind it afterall.

Very true…they didn’t know how to explain and neither we give a try …or ended up those gool old sayings in a mess.

10. novelistbaba

there is significant amount of magnetism on the surface, and the brain activity is through flow of ions……..also every synapse is practically current flow……and there is iron in blood………and there is a force on current carrying conductor in a magnetic field…………..so to simplify……..i sleep in east west direction, except at hotels, they get angry when you move the furniture…..

You are absolutely right, the iron and similar ions plays a lot with the mag. Field

11. DARKLOVE9095

The population has grown so much now that I feel pity for the earth’s magnetic field… The increase in the number of conductors have diminished it’s magnitude

12. Jahnavi

After Reading this post, I feel there must be a logic behind many age old traditions..in the course of time, traditions were passed on to the next generation while leaving behind the logic.. this bought a superstition tag to many meaningful ones..an insightful post this is 🙂

13. Subhash

Thanks for sharing. In fact we are surrounded by an ocean of waves. Mobile waves micro waves ….