Do plants feel pain?

There is a bowl of salad with green, red, yellow and orange vegetables grabbing my attention. Being attracted by the colours, I took an orange piece with my fork. At once, the pale green piece, near to the orange one, jumped back and buried itself. Then to my surprise, I found many more pieces trying to escape from my fork.

What happened to my salad..? Are these vegetables playing hide and seek?

Just like every other living being, do plants feel pain?

But science tells me ‘Without a nervous system, you can’t feel pain and hence the plant won’t feel it’.

After all, is pain an essential stuff for life?

The poor plants even don’t have an option to move to escape from pain. So better to believe that the creator is not as cruel as to make the plants feel that torture of pain.

One thought on “Do plants feel pain?

1. extinct0703

February 7, 2017 at 9:15am

Wow thought provoking as always and answered it too this time. Wonderful

February 7, 2017 at 10:05am

But i am not comfortable with that scientific answer..something missing

February 7, 2017 at 10:54am

There something else.. We as a human, tend to compare lives of all other living beings as that of ours. Rarely we have that insight to enjoy the diversity of the world. So i think there could be some other senses for plants which is not understandable by our senses.

• extinct0703

February 7, 2017 at 11:12am

Definitely, if any part of our body is cut it becomes lifeless in few seconds, same in some reptiles liferemains in both parts for few minutes. In vegetables and fruits after being disconnected from the tree it remains lively for days before it dries up and dies.

2. radhikasreflection

February 7, 2017 at 9:43am

Maybe they don’t feel the pain. But research has proved that plants to respond positively to touch and love. Harsh words and shouting at the plant in the long run kills it.

February 7, 2017 at 10:06am

Yes,They have growth hormones which make them sensible to touch and all..

3. mylittlepursuitsofhappyness

February 7, 2017 at 10:15am

Pain need not always be in the form of touch..At time plants do feel pain when we forget or ignore them..I have experienced some instances where my plants have withered away due to lack of my attention towards them.

February 7, 2017 at 10:26am

Maybe you are right. They may have that sentiment, even though not any physical pain

4. Prajakta

February 7, 2017 at 10:51am

We will never have an answer to that… Being a vegetarian, it makes me question this. Now I have learnt to embrace the philosophy of “as little violence as possible” in consuming food.

On a lighter note, are you sure there wasn’t an empty glass of wine next to your salad? 😀

February 7, 2017 at 10:56am

Ha ha.. Praja you are funny..there was not any wine glasses. You can believe me .

5. boundlessblessingsblog

February 7, 2017 at 11:10am

Great post Akhila and no they do not feel any pain though they too are gods creation but he has created them for us humans and animals to eat otherwise we will not survive. There is consciousness in them too but it is very latent and that is why it is k . It is k for food but why pluck them and put in garlands and after somedays they rot and let them also grow and make our world a beautiful garden of flowers isnt it.

February 7, 2017 at 11:28am

Hmm… My subconscious mind not willing to accept what you are saying, even while i am aware of the sceintifical reasons behind the same.. Anyway, we have no other options while consuming them..

• boundlessblessingsblog

February 7, 2017 at 11:34am

Yes dear your mind is reasoning with you but there are so many vegeterians in this world what will they eat without plants and this is our survival too. God is so merciful he knows what he is doing and evolution is from gases, minerals, plants, worms, fish, animals and then us. There is life in all of them but it is so latent that it is k for us. I know it will all bounce but this is what i too in my limited knowledge know.

6. Anisha

February 7, 2017 at 11:30am

haha…good one… Being a vegetarian myself I’ve always tried to win arguments with other non-vegetarians but ended up losing at this very point.. 😀

February 7, 2017 at 11:58am

Thanks anisha.. I have non vegetarian option too. Still this question haunts me…so we are in the same boat

7. Charvi Tandon

February 7, 2017 at 11:38am

it is unacceptable to believe things afterall pain and happiness try to coccon you to believing they are different . they are at the surface .
    talking about the thought , i do resonate with your view . unconsiously disregarding any scientific observation .
    i guess the answer lies in understanding natural laws and not scientific laws ,
    in nature for one to continue the cycle of life has to thrive on the other for survival , repaying it in other way ,
    but the fact that human beings turn callous is they take but dont repay

February 7, 2017 at 2:36pm

I understand what you are trying to convey.. And i really appreciate your views on human nature that we are not reciprocating…so that’s the puzzle. Where it will lead us

• Charvi Tandon

February 7, 2017 at 5:10pm

yeah , where it will lead us … may be to destruction
        may be to understanding ..
        but all i know is puzzles start with us and end with us .

February 7, 2017 at 5:46pm

Sometimes feel like everything is as simple as it is.. But these kinda puzzles are ever lasting

8. Vinayak Gupta

February 7, 2017 at 1:31pm

<3 The creator is not as cruel as to make the plants feel that torture of pain. <3

10. Joker Shayar

February 7, 2017 at 2:22pm

even if they feel pain (just assuming), they already got killed before coming in your bowl :p … so its too late to think about their pain.. just enjoy your salad 😉

February 7, 2017 at 3:40pm

Btwn you are continuing with hindi versions only..kill you

11. foreverjunoon

February 7, 2017 at 3:31pm

जैन धर्म में वनस्पति काय के नाम से जीव का एक भेद बताया है।प्रत्येक पेड़ पौधे में जीव अर्थात चेतना होती है।भगवान महावीर ने जीवन यापन के लिए अनिवार्य होने वाले पेड़ पौधों के उपयोग की छूट दी है।बिना वजह इन्हे हानि पहुँचाना पाप बताया है।संवत्सरी पर्व पर जैनी 8 दिन तक सब्जी और फल का त्याग करते है।जमींकंद में अनन्त जीव होते है।आलु प्याज मुली गाजर आदि के प्रयोग को भी सीमित करने की बात कही।

• Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 5:53pm

Itne uchh vicharo se iss din ko roshan karne k liye mai aapka shriday dhanyavaad karta Hun aivam bhagwan mahavir ko koti koti naman karta Hun

• Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 11:25pm

Having read about Jainism, I couldn’t have agreed more with you……
          🙂

• foreverjunoon

February 8, 2017 at 10:25am

You can make conversation with me.I will get a chance to polish my views.

• Shaggy

February 8, 2017 at 8:12pm

I’d love to. Will right away check your blog!!!

February 7, 2017 at 5:56pm

Sacrifices for 8 days… So there is definitely some chethana as you mentioned.

• foreverjunoon

February 7, 2017 at 10:46pm

Ofcourse.Even jain sadhu dont walk on the grass.They never touch or pluck flowers.We can relate whole jainism with present enviourmental problems.

12. A

February 7, 2017 at 4:36pm

Plants do feel pain and it’s been scientifically proved

February 7, 2017 at 5:47pm

Hmm? Where can i have that scientifical evidence

• Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 5:51pm

Jagdish Chandra Basu was the guy, if my memory serves me right??
        He actually proved that plants can feel the pain……

February 7, 2017 at 6:07pm

Nope..he proved that plants are living beings..it doesn’t mean that they have pain..inorder to have pain, they need nervous system , brain and all which is lacking in plants.

• Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 6:11pm

Okay botanically! May be I am wrong…..
            But spiritually everything has a soul they may not feel the pain…. They do have soul, right. They do have life….. I mean you getting me right??

• Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 6:16pm

Didn’t even notice that it rhymed…. Woah!!

February 7, 2017 at 6:40pm

Yes, ishan ..exactly that’s what puzzling me as science is against my belief

13. Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 5:50pm

They sure do!! Dont be heartless Akhila….. Everything has a heart……

February 7, 2017 at 6:05pm

Mm.. But it’s little painful and disturbing

15. crystalamayy

February 7, 2017 at 6:49pm

Have heard somwr tat it can feel music and it also directs towards the sun,so possible I guess.

February 7, 2017 at 9:50pm

Ya..possible..may be a different sense,not the pain which we humans feel

16. pins & ashes

February 7, 2017 at 6:50pm

We may need to define pain from their POV! Like a touch me not shies away when touched. Is that pain or is that an escape mechanism. Am orange peel releases a juice when pinched, so does certain cacti.

February 7, 2017 at 9:49pm

Well..they cannot run away on seeing a knife or an axe..

17. Sunith

February 7, 2017 at 8:19pm

one thought here, is that all edible plants are created for animal and mankind, but the tree as a whole may have a life of its own, still seeking answers here, as per indian mythology, a lot of people were reduced ( as a part of a curse) to stand as a tree for many years…

February 7, 2017 at 9:37pm

To stand as a tree..so does it imply that a tree life is a curse itself

• Sunith

February 7, 2017 at 10:02pm

In these materialistic times when you have to stand as a witness to bad things around you and no one taking you as one having life, isn’t that a curse?

18. Shaggy

February 7, 2017 at 10:03pm

Deliberate attempts to piss me off doesn’t work

19. 2ndhalfolife

February 7, 2017 at 10:26pm

I have often had people say to me (I suppose jokingly) that I am hurting the plants when I eat them because I’ve been a vegetarian/vegan for so many years. Who knows? There are some who believe that plans do have spirits within them. Have you ever read the books on Findhorn? Very interesting….

February 7, 2017 at 10:31pm

Findhorn..i haven’t read..thanks for suggesting

20. shreyans

February 8, 2017 at 12:24pm

the question is are you feeling pain by eating them or destroying them? if yes, then they surely feel pain..

21. Maniparna Sengupta Majumder

February 9, 2017 at 1:32am

Plants definitely have lives and that’s proved long ago. They can sense the source of light, shadow and water. So, who knows, they might feel the pain, too. Some scientists are of opinion that they are capable of generating electrical impulses within their cells… so, we just never know… 😀

February 9, 2017 at 2:02pm

Hmm..we don’t know..they may have a mind..

February 9, 2017 at 2:16pm

Rofl…akhila is not there..she went to moon last night.

February 9, 2017 at 5:23pm

Bunny you made a great a quote..noticed it?

February 14, 2017 at 2:12pm

During a science class in school, the strict nun once told us that plants give out streaks of pain when plucked or prodded at. But whether she told us this so that we would stop plucking flowers or not, none of us knew as she was too strict and we all feared to challenge her statements with questions. But this is a question that my son is soon bound to ask. Did you get an answer from any science majors or botanists reading your blog?

February 14, 2017 at 2:19pm

No yar.. Not any scientific answers yet.. But i had a strong gut feeling that they do feel pain.. Only thing i can’t recognize is whether it’s a physical pain or an emotional pain

24. kalyansparks

March 11, 2017 at 12:27pm

Maybe emotions exists for plant life,they yield well in if we keep Melody songs Every day,and if you keep rock music.They die after some day.Soo I think there is emotional connection between us and plants and animals.

March 11, 2017 at 1:29pm

Hmm. That’s what I also felt, they won’t be having any physical pain, but emotionally yes..

25. fictionspawn

May 25, 2017 at 12:05am

Exactly! I wanted to make that argument, that pain is there for us to remove the source of the pain. Plants cannot. Therefore there’s no reason why they should feel pain. Good post.