I am on my Periods

“I am on my Periods, I am bleeding”, how it can be different from breathing or digesting. It’s just another very normal biological phenomenon.

But people are uncomfortable to talk about it; they feel embarrassed even if they talk about it…Another stereotypic impression.

“We are not shy anymore. We are not dealing with any nuclear bombs as Shreya said. We, the girls are likely to bleed for between 2,000 to 3,000-plus days in our lifetimes. So this bloody thing is no more a taboo.”

One thought on “I am on my Periods

1. Sangbad

March 4, 2017 at 11:53am

You two are letting me rewrite an essay I had written a few times back…by Monday I hope I’ll post that…

2. Mick Canning

March 4, 2017 at 3:40pm

As I commented on Shreya’s post, this is entirely due to Patriarchal society, as she says. It is another way for men to try to hang onto their domination of women.

March 4, 2017 at 5:28pm

Could be.. And she is also tuned very much to listen ve in that way.. Hiding under a mask

• Mick Canning

March 4, 2017 at 5:32pm

Definitely. The test of whether it is anything to do with male-dominated society is: are women ashamed to talk about their periods with other women? If they are not, then it a male issue.

March 4, 2017 at 5:30pm

Ya.. Its not a sin and shouldn’t be a taboo

4. gserpent

March 4, 2017 at 6:39pm

This is a patriarch thing. Matriarch cultures did not hide this. They saw women as sacred because they were purified with the moon. The American Indian created the purification lodge for men because they could not naturally purify like women. We know it today as the sauna. So you the next time you go in a sauna realize it was a beautiful right. This patriarch world is all about fear, shame and all things natural being taken away.

March 5, 2017 at 1:53pm

Everything is blamed upon patriarchy. Again isn’t another way of emphasizing the men’s world

• gserpent

March 5, 2017 at 5:21pm

It is a man’s world, but why? You look at nature and everything is balanced. So why do we put up with this masculine imbalance? Its a long story. I go into deep into this in my work. Until the sacred feminine is brought back the world will remain unbalanced.

6. Moushmi Radhanpara

March 5, 2017 at 4:41pm

It is the society that has ingrained on us that it is a taboo, and we have to ‘extra careful’ on our periods, and our ‘pads/tampons’ shouldn’t be left callously or god forbid be seen by others.
    It is just a normal biological change for women then why cant’ it made normal in the society too. Why such a big fuss?
    It is time we just made less fuss about such petty issues and grow up and accept that getting our period is just ‘normal’.

March 6, 2017 at 4:46pm

Yup, growing up with that mindset is the only way to have a society where periods are not a taboo… at least this thought must be promoted when today’s kids are grown up..

March 6, 2017 at 8:58am

Good morning, Akhi! How are you, my dear?
    A powerful piece, very well expressed.
    I had a friend, whose cousin never did get her menarche, but physically she looked and had attained every other aspect of puberty. Being a strong-willed young woman, she took it in her stride but deep inside she always thought of herself as incomplete.
    The monthly menstrual period, among many other physical attributes and emotional strengths or weaknesses, are simply what make a woman complete and if there one feeling, it is only one to be proud about. However, this mindset is slowly and steadily changing and education is a major catalyst to this change.

8. Prajakta

March 7, 2017 at 2:47pm

Hear hear! It is long overdue that we embrace our bodies for what they are… and what they do. I am so happy that my workplace has now installed a vending machine for sanitary napkins! We are all shocked, pleasantly so. It is definitely a step forward.

March 7, 2017 at 8:11pm

Wow.. it’s definitely a great move..it’s missing in many a places..

9. […] still on the skepticism. Then a few days later another post caught my attention. It was “I am on my Periods” by Akhila (Words and Notion).    But, still I was on dilemma what’ll other blogger […]

10. aishahnaaz

March 11, 2017 at 2:27pm

I can’t agree more!! Even when you shop in malls, I see people covering the sanitary pads with other stuff on their cart. Also when billing and packing, they make sure it’s concealed enough not to be seen outside. ! Like we’re actually carrying a bomb!

12. tingleurtastebuds

April 28, 2017 at 3:51am

I think we Indians like to keep few things secret and we dare not talk about it to children also. Not a right thought. Need to come out of the shell to view world is still revolving.

April 28, 2017 at 8:05pm

True that…live by example.. Start at home itself