I can’t do this; I am a fraud

Am I good enough to proceed with this work? How can I deceive the people who believe in my talents? What if they found out my inefficiencies on a day? Do I really deserve all these appreciations or are they just doing some favour for me? I can’t do this; I am a fraud.

Don’t worry if you have ever thought like this. This is a part of all great achievers like Emma Watson.;)

It was interesting to know that 70 % of the world population have suffered from it at some point of time in their life. They attribute their accomplishments to luck rather than their capability. Most people with this imposter feeling are afraid of ‘being found out’.

May be this is one of the reasons which make people to wear a mask. (Read more on masks at “Unlocking the secrets behind a seductive smile “)

Impostor syndrome (also known as impostor phenomenon or fraud syndrome) is a concept describing high-achieving individuals who are marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a “fraud”.

And many a times this fraud syndrome as well as perfectionism goes hand in hand. And it makes people reluctant to ask for help from others.

Self-acceptance is the only way to overcome impostor syndrome. Give your best and recognize your strengths.

One thought on “I can’t do this; I am a fraud

1. Jeni G.J

April 18, 2017 at 9:16am

Do I suffer from this syndrome? You’re scaring me. Anyway I’ll take the last point I’ll recognize my strengths and give my best. Good morning Akhila.

April 18, 2017 at 10:47am

Morning Jeni.. let us assure our own mind by repeatedly saying, “I can do this”

2. Fny

April 18, 2017 at 10:11am

This is VERY familiar. I do feel like a fraud, always. It is horrible!

3. Confused Thoughts

April 18, 2017 at 10:15am

Perfect line

4. boundlessblessingsblog

April 18, 2017 at 11:38am

Beautiful words and self-acceptance and being aware of what is happening with you and how you can do better instead of going thru these syndromes that pull you down is not going to work. Be in the know and a positive and healthy happy mind will take you forward.

5. Varsh

April 18, 2017 at 11:59am

We would do ourselves a big service if we not only had humility but also the audacity to accept our own strengths. Seeing success as a luck factor is such an external thing. We never get more than we deserve.

April 18, 2017 at 12:24pm

Thanks varsha. You made a point..accepting oneself should not be limited to any adverse situations..it must happen always..

6. Pradita Kapahi

April 18, 2017 at 1:12pm

Great post! But I think that self acceptance is not just about accepting your achievements by also realizing that I’d ok to fail sometimes. we’re only human after all

7. Colors of my life

April 18, 2017 at 2:58pm

I have another issue, I sometimes feel over confidence and my boss say that I don’t know my actual capabilities and I can achieve much more.

April 19, 2017 at 10:24am

Yeah..I too heard the name for the first time a few days back

8. Fny

April 18, 2017 at 10:29pm

Aww that’s a nice way of thinking about it! Still is terribly hard though, but I’ll try to see it from that light!

April 19, 2017 at 10:26am

Yup…try to see it on a lighter side and at the same time accept oneself as a whole

April 19, 2017 at 10:01am

Thank you.. glad that you could relate to that…

April 19, 2017 at 6:12pm

Yo yo..day before yesterday oru torch light adichu nokkiyarnnu into your brain…

13. Megha Agrawal

April 21, 2017 at 4:07pm

We all suffer from this syndrome at some point. At time this syndrome also helps in giving the best.

14. Prajakta

April 24, 2017 at 12:35pm

I first read about this in the book Lean In and researched a bit. The saddest thing is that women are morely likely to suffer from this – we just cannot accept our achievements at face value and contribute some of it (or all of it) to luck or other external factors.

April 24, 2017 at 2:50pm

Yeah.. I too read that women suffer from this syndrome a lot..that could be another game to make her believe that she is not as capable as a man

April 26, 2017 at 12:15am

Well, I am dumbstruck, never knew of the impostor syndrome, now I will sit overnight and worry if I suffer from this one!

April 27, 2017 at 10:02pm

Yo yo.. adipoli Peru alle…that’s what I too thought when I learned this new term