Do you have an I shaped or C shaped posture?

i or c 1
Some days back, I laid eyes on a girl sitting in my office bus. The girl was sitting so straight that was really catching my eyes. You may be wondering what is unusual in that. Now just try to sit or stand in the right posture for at least ten minutes. If you are able to maintain your posture for the ten minutes, then you can skip further reading. Otherwise you will understand why that girl caught my attention with her right position. And after noticing her, I just looked at other people sitting in the bus. I could see none sitting so straight as she was. Majority of people were either sleeping or in a relaxed position, totally sunk into their chairs. I analysed myself – anyway I was not sleeping then 🙂 . But was slightly in a ‘C’ shaped posture. I tried to sit in correct posture and determined to maintain that posture. And after sometime I lost in thoughts and again found myself in ‘C’ shaped posture. Then I understood that it’s not a simple task to maintain a good posture. And that girl was maintaining her position till the end of her journey.

Later on I met her in meeting rooms, in some coffee shops, in the lobby etc. Everywhere she was maintaining her good posture, with her heads up reflecting her confidentiality. I don’t know much about her personality and all. But I ‘m quite sure that ‘I’ position instead of ‘C’ position reveals her INDIVIDUALITY.

Good posture is nothing more than keeping our body in proper alignment. In fact posture is far more than looking confident and graceful. Sitting or standing or walking in the right position ensures that our body functions adequately.

Now it’s our turn.. Just think whether we want to have an ‘I’ posture or ‘C’ posture

Please Note: I simply used the alphabets ‘I’ and ‘C’ just to indicate right and curved positions respectively. There is nothing beyond that. In fact spine is said to have an ‘S’ shape and definitely not ‘I’ shape. Hence before practicing, need adequate knowledge on the proper posture as a good posture does not mean keeping our spine fully straight. We will become exhausted when we simply try to maintain our body straight and it will damage our spine. Instead need to understand that ‘S’ shape and practice accordingly.

One thought on “Do you have an I shaped or C shaped posture?

1. Shailaja/ The Moving Quill

October 20, 2015 at 6:21am

Reading this made me sit up straighter, so that definitely helps! 😀 I never really equated posture to personality but I guess you’re right about it, actually!

2. Colleen B

October 22, 2015 at 5:40pm

I have actually been thinking about this lately!! I’m afraid my posture is very bad…:)

October 23, 2015 at 6:08am

Happy to know that you started thinking about your posture..:)

3. jncthedc

October 30, 2015 at 7:31pm

Posture just like most things worthwhile in life require effort and patience. Good posture provides better mechanical function resulting in better health. It is so much more than just appearance. Gravity works against those unwilling to put the effort forward to developing healthy posture. Although posture is only 1 component in life, the methodology leading to a healthy outcome can provide a meaningful strategy on approaching a healthy and happy lifestyle.
    I enjoyed your article very much.

October 31, 2015 at 2:01am

Thank you for your time to read my article. Happy that you enjoyed it. I am trying to maintain a good posture …. forget in between;)

4. Darshith Badiyani

November 1, 2015 at 10:09am

Lovely post 😀 good observation.. I am definitely in C shaped category or the relaxing category 😀 from the title I thought, it was related to sleeping posture 😉

November 1, 2015 at 10:12am

Thank you Darshith for being here. Don’t you try to be in the “I” category ?

November 1, 2015 at 2:29pm

oh… then you relax…:)

November 1, 2015 at 2:34pm

But even though it is difficult, the effort is always worth it..:)

November 1, 2015 at 5:28pm

I am trying…but in between I forget about it 😉

November 1, 2015 at 5:33pm

🙂

5. icerene01

November 10, 2015 at 8:39am

I’m an ‘I’ shape..I can’t stand with a ‘C’ shape, my back hurts…hahaha
    nice observation, though!

November 10, 2015 at 2:18pm

oh..Glad that you are in ‘I’ shape 😉

6. ANooP

November 11, 2015 at 3:43am

Rarely we care about the right posture…. but it is very important we have the right posture for many reasons.

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

November 11, 2015 at 3:48am

Yes.. definitely we should care about it. Even though my observation was based on the external appearance, it has a lot more to deal with. Mainly it is our which health matters….

7. ANM7

November 11, 2015 at 3:29pm

I read some stuff as a lad, such as “Push your butt as far back into the chair as possible” to help maintain proper posture. Other, was “To place the butt at the very tippy edge of seat, plant feet down firmly, then focus breathing” which helps the posture also. Recently they have added (not too recent) a specific block of wood, angled, upon which you place the feet which relieves back pain (????). Found out in my latter days, surprisingly that I have a curvature of the spine (falling on rear at age 13 off fourth floor). So none of that stuff would have suited me anyway. But good article, and thanks.

November 12, 2015 at 3:04am

Thanks for your comments..
      “Recently they have added (not too recent)….” But I didn’t understand, who are they..?

• ANM7

November 12, 2015 at 6:13am

I guess I should have said, “….has been added” IE to the science of correct posture and how to sit. The block thing on the floor I saw at a Call Center utilized by a female co-worker. But have to admit, for a second there, I experienced flashbacks to requests for a citation (accreditation). Skip that (lol, kidding).

• ANM7

November 12, 2015 at 2:15pm

One last thing; In spite of my curvature of the spine, I have a I shaped posture, but due to my Asthma, I have to keep my awareness, and focus to maintain it. I have the I shape because I have learned to sleep on my back. It was hard to get used to this. Spent two months without sleep due learn it (sleep on back). Thank you Akhila.

November 13, 2015 at 5:59am

Oh.. So finally you won the match of posture maintenance

8. Pratyusha

October 24, 2016 at 1:17am

Very true Akhila! Body posture determines our confidence and style. And pretty much our mood, how laid back or how determined we are. Nice and interesting reads dude. 🙂

October 24, 2016 at 10:51am

Hi Prat.. I wonder how you managed to catch this old post…

• Pratyusha

October 24, 2016 at 10:53am

Haha. I was just scrolling through for all the catchy titles and found this 🙂 Whenever I am on WordPress, I definitely read your interesting articles. 🙂

October 24, 2016 at 11:01am

you mentioned a nice point.. ” be thoughtful while adding your title”..;)

• Pratyusha

October 24, 2016 at 11:02am

Hahaha. Is that giving you an idea for your next post hahaha 😀

October 24, 2016 at 11:05am

ha ha… let me see..definitely on the title part..;)

9. boundlessblessingsblog

August 8, 2017 at 10:48am

Having a great posture is very important, Akhila and you have said it very aptly in your post. They sure tell you how our body needs to be.

10. Moushmi Radhanpara

August 8, 2017 at 5:58pm

I wouldn’t say that I have an ‘I’ position but I don not have ‘c’shaped position either.
    This has been ingrained in me since childhood, and yet it seems difficult. But yes, most of the times, apart from the reading time and watching tv, I maintain an ‘I’ shaped posture. At least I try my best, and I know it gets really difficult.

August 10, 2017 at 10:02am

You reflect my words moushmi.. whenever possible I also do that consciously

11. andysmerdon

August 9, 2017 at 6:30am

Good piece Akhila. I find it extremely easy to slump into my ‘C’ posture when reading or sitting at the computer 🙂 I find I maintain my ‘I’ fairly easy when standing or speaking in public…maybe my military training enforced that habit 🙂

August 10, 2017 at 10:03am

Oh..you were in armed forces….then obviously you will have that I posture

12. Bikramjit

August 9, 2017 at 11:31am

Reminds me when health and safety visited our office and recommended ways to sit and chairs .. I could not believe when the chairs came they got measures nd fitted to our body.. and cost was mind blowing..

I guess it is just natural to slump .. and takes hard work to maintain a good posture … but a good posture is a must especially in today’s life when we don’t exercise as much as we should…

13. attechofposture

September 10, 2017 at 5:42pm

I think this article sent an important message of maintaining a proper structure. Besides, ‘I’ Posture and ‘C’ Posture is good metaphors in describing how we hold our posture every day. We should be aware and notice of our posture, but in fact, most of us don’t as it already proved in your example in your office bus. You also pointed out that “a good posture does not mean keeping our spine full straight”, this is the falsehood among the publics. I agree that posture is far more than showing confidence, and it relates to our health and body. I am trying to spread this message in my campaign “AtTech of Posture” as well, which urge people to pay attention to their posture while using technology and related to this post. I look forward to interact and engage regarding the issue.

September 12, 2017 at 10:36am

Thanks a lot for your kind words….also interested to know about your campaign….how are you spreading the awareness..is it through the blog or some other means..?

September 12, 2017 at 2:21pm

With spinal problems on the rise, thanks to jobs that require prolonged sitting and then later sitting on bikes that travel on pot-holed roads, an important message. But if you look around you will notice much of the internet generation of kids are found in what you call the ‘C’ position fiddling with tabs and smart phones. This message needs to reach these children who have a large part of their life stretching before them. As for us, it is time we be the example for them!

September 13, 2017 at 5:17pm

Yeah live by example in front of the kids…