What others think

By | September 21, 2017

Do you worry too much about what others think of you ?  Do you always try to become that likable type or wish at least not to become the hateable ones?

Obviously it is very human nature. Exceptions are there, like the don’t care types. But everyone cannot be that don’t care types. They are hurt and bothered with the “am I misunderstood? ” syndrome.

So do you have this syndrome, how do you try to escape from that?

Anyway, one’s integrity cannot be compromised while trying to be the likable types as mentioned in waves of notion

41 thoughts on “What others think

1. Kurian

Akhila, you have given the answer I think. Respect personal integrity. It’s maintained when you do things which you feel is required for maintaining integrity, even when no one is around or looking.
    Otherwise it’s better to be sensitive to what others think and be flexible

Thank you. Yup, my answer is there.. Even then I am not a perfect exception to that syndrome. Maybe being with the right people (whom you think trust worthy) is the other solution for sensitive people

2. Sha'Tara

Age and wisdom say, never mind so much about being misunderstood – forget it. Focus instead on trying to understand and empathize with others. Then there is no “sensed need” to be understood. I think the “I want to be understood” is very selfish and self-centered; perhaps one of western society’s greatest problems right now.

Thanks shatara…it is indeed a different perspective… I never imagined it to be a self centered thought… Thinking loud, I think I agree with you…..

3. mylittlepursuitsofhappyness

Getting onto the good books of people is a task in itself. Though you are good, you are not good enough to get into those books.. this syndrome is very common.. have been through that phase.. trust me its very taxing.. emotionally and mentally. Now i have given up and have a don’t care attitude towards such people. Its very tough to please such people as in the pursuit of doing so we lose our own individual integrity and identity.

You are totally right… Once we are ready to accept this “no need to be in good books”, the rest is all relaxing

4. boundlessblessingsblog

True words written, Akhila and with age comes wisdom and why worry what others think of you. Keep on doing what you like and see the difference in your own life.

Happy to know that you also belong to the don’t care genre.. Between were you able to maintain the attitude at all moments in life?

5. kawsreflections

For the longest time I cared about what others thought and I stepped on “glass” to make others happy and I ended up being unhappy and as I have gotten older the more I don’t care about what others think. I decided my happiness is worth more than what others think. I decided that they can think whatever they want and they can judge me instead of getting to know me that just means they are lazy or they don’t care to get to the real me. I decided it’s their loss. We all deserve to be happy and our happiness and self worth and integrity is more important than what others think of us.

Thanks kaws for adding your real experience. Self worth and integrity matters above to everything

1. kawsreflections

You’re welcome. I loved to talk about my experience. I find it helps others when they find themselves in similar situations. Yes ma’am I agree. They are both the most important things in life.

6. Sudhir Chauhan

Yes it hurts at time….. the opinion of closed ones or whom you trust matter and hurts….. wisdom is more talked than acquired…. we human beings are emotional and emotions always hurts…..

7. little kavi

True to be yourself… that’s very important.. we can’t able to be good to everyone. Everyone have their own nature, don’t change it. If you true to yourself, no need to think about other’s thought on us.

Thanks a lit for sharing your views. Maintaining integrity is the crux of every thing

8. Infinite Living

Eventually nothing feels more important than being true to yourself …needing to be approved of by others then passes off as if a phase.

9. Moushmi Radhanpara

Most of the times it is I don’t care, but then after all I am a human, so that ‘am I being misunderstood’ syndrome comes up, and then I am embarrassed.

10. sudershana

Yes, I do have and thinks too but the fact is we cannot stop anyone to have their opinion or I should say judgement so I try to keep engage with the people who makes me happy rather than ones who just think what they want.
    How are you? Hope you are doing well. Will glad to have you at my site and your words at my latest post. Happy weekend. Thanks!

Thanks purva…as you said, being with the right people is the recommended solution in a way to escape from this syndrome.
      I am all good. Hope you too.. Exams over?
      Will catch your posts soon.

11. Shweta Suresh

It’s pointless to worry about what other people think. But sometimes that thought creeps in. But never go against your beliefs to please people. It’s easier said than done but that’s how life works.

very true…better not to try to be in the good books of others..let us live in our priorities and comfort without losing the integrity

We are conditioned to fall into the mould for fear of being different, is it not Akhi. As people belonging to a society, sometimes it becomes a good thing. But there are situations when you must voice your feelings, what you feel is right and what you stand for.

13. Expect The Exceptional

I think that people who do always do the right thing end up being popular and liked, or at the very least respected, because they are a shining light of how life should be lived. Integrity is something that has been eroded away from our civilization in recent decades but I feel like it is starting to return. A lot of it stems from parents and teachers who are educating the next generation. If kids see their parents acting without integrity the chances are that “Monkey see, monkey do”. Doing the right thing is also a much more enjoyable way to live your life!! Thanks for the post and ideas!

Thanks a lot for your detailed view in this lines. Live by example, that’s what parents can show their kids..I agree with you totally

14. Pingback: Relationships.. a lot of work..??? – Words and Notion