A Recipient centric gift or a Giver centric gift?

She was overwhelmed with joy when he offered her the tiny globe.

Because she knew how much he valued the little earth.

So what’s your best fit while choosing something for your loved one- A Recipient centric gift or a Giver centric gift?

A recipient centric gift would make the receiver happy always [But only if the giver’s guesses worked properly while selecting the best fit gift].

Now what if your loved one offered you the thing which is most valuable in his/her eyes? Wont it be much more beautiful when you feel that treasure he/she has shared with you [A giver centric gift]

The author is a Quality Analyst by experience. Part Quantitative data analyst, part consultant for quality and information security practices, part software tester, she is a writer by passion and blogs at https://wordsandnotion.com and https://qualitynotion.com/.

One thought on “A Recipient centric gift or a Giver centric gift?

1. Mataindah

September 28, 2017 at 1:33pm

Yeaa ..personaly i prefer to give recipient cebtered gft to make them happy ( if i knw their choice) ..if i dont knw then i go for a random one..

September 30, 2017 at 9:52am

Actually we always think in that way, a recipient centric one.. but after this specific thought occurred to me, I feel I would be more happy if someone offered me a giver centric gift…

• Mataindah

October 1, 2017 at 9:54am

Yes we can ..but its not just happiness they need to use that particular treasure ..if thy dint prfr wot we chose then dfntly the gft will find a hidden place somewhere inside in the shelf

October 1, 2017 at 10:48am

That’s the sad failure of receiver to understand the worth of what is shared

2. Varsh

September 28, 2017 at 3:06pm

This is a tough one. Depends on their relationship and how much they know each other.

September 30, 2017 at 8:51pm

Tough indeed…but this wave of notion gave me a new impulse, a selfless impulse especially if it’s a receiver centric gift..like the giver is giving you what he values most, means he is ready to share his treasure with you…selfless indeed, no?

3. ravisidula

September 28, 2017 at 9:28pm

Never thought of this perceptive. hmmm well a gift is a gift and it would certainly bring a smile for sure. A giver centric gift may give initial momentary happiness but the recipient centric gift would certainly stay for prolonged period in their hearts.

September 30, 2017 at 8:52pm

Thanks.. but recently I strayed to think in the other way..I feel the receiver centric one to be more selfless and long lasting

4. Sha'Tara

September 29, 2017 at 1:37am

A deep psychological question. For the giver, it all boils down to motivation: why the gift? Does it carry expectations, or none? The “danger” in gift-giving: we all like to be made to feel good, so if I give a gift to make someone else feel good, is my motive that they recipient will make me feel good in turn by thanking me, etc.? What’s the agenda behind the giving?

September 30, 2017 at 8:56pm

Yes, shatara, but the more you worry about the hidden motive behind the same, the less you could enjoy the worth of the gift…

• Sha'Tara

September 30, 2017 at 10:31pm

Well Akhila, it’s my nature to “worry” about such things. They say when life hands you lemons (gift) make lemonade. Life has handed me my share of “gifted” lemons, and often enough, no sugar came with them so the “lemonade” remained undrinkable. My learned philosophy is not to give gifts – ever – but to ever be “on call” for anyone – that’s anyone! – who needs help in some way I can provide that help. I prefer to help those who have no means to reciprocate. You could say that the ultimate gift, the safest gift, is offering compassion, the giving of one’s life (all at once or incrementally over many long years) to another – any other – without expectation(s). There, now I’ve explained it a bit more… 🙂

October 1, 2017 at 10:56am

You explained it well shatara…and regarding the worry part, I was not exception previously…I always thought about the secret agenda behind the helping hands ( there is an old post in my blog in those lines). And in fact which made me reluctant to ask for help whatever may be the circumstances.. still I am the same, but bit improved that I have that guts to say a “no” if something falls in my discomfort zone..
          Then I agree with you totally that, safest gift is the compassion offered.

5. 2ndhalfolife

October 1, 2017 at 7:55pm

I almost always now give something that was mine as a gift, something that I especially loved. To me this has multiple purposes: it cuts down on commercialism and waste and gas and also re-purposes something that was special to someone you love. I feel this has better meaning than just going to a store because the item is infused with your energy.

October 2, 2017 at 12:36pm

Very true…that was exactly the thought that stroke me when I too had this revelation…. what else could be the best gift other than offering your own valuable thing

October 4, 2017 at 5:55pm

A gift is a token of love, so does it matter if it is recipient-centric or giver-centric?
    It is a token that conveys the importance of your presence in their life.

October 6, 2017 at 5:18pm

Of course yes, valid point….normally we have that tendency to think, “what to give, what will please him or her, what should be their interest”… now this opposite notion stroke me “without thinking more about your interest if someone offers you his or her valuable thing”, … is t it beautiful?