Is first impression the best impression?

By | March 31, 2016

Do you think that first impression is the best impression?

In my opinion first impression cannot be the best impression. But I do agree that it matters a lot especially when you have limited time to evaluate a person, say for example during an interview, during conferences etc.

First impression is normally based on physical appearances or some momentary tasks or some pleasant talks. Is it good enough to judge a person?

If a person is dressed well, do you think that he is neat and clean? If you see that person daily in well attire, then it matters.

Other than that, just seeing a well-dressed person, one cannot rate that person as the best in dressing.

Similarly vice versa.

Suppose a stranger behaved rudely at you on a particular day. You happened to see him again after a few days. Don’t just try to evaluate him simply based on the previous day events. There may be many reasons behind that incident.

If there is something in one’s mind, always there is a tendency to connect the succeeding events to that. Many a times it leads to wrong conclusions. But when we are able to understand the reality, there is no much role to be played by the first impression.

I want you to disagree with me and raise your points for a heated debate…

0 thoughts on “Is first impression the best impression?

1. Amitav Chowdhury

I do not jump to conclusions when it comes to another individual. According to me, it takes time to realize the true persona of any individual. Having said that, not everything depends on looks and how the person dresses; there’s much more to know before you think you know about a person. Nice points you have presented here and well articulated.

Thanks amitav for expressing your feelings. I go with you as I mentioned in the post. Quick judgments will lead to wrong conclusions. I prefer to be in my comfortable attire and I believe it’s not too bad in a second person’s eye.

2. Sakthi

It varies depending upon personal and professional life. When it comes to professional, it is going to be purely business and
    nothing personal so first impression matters with personality, dressing and the way we talk. When it comes to personal,
    first impression leads to curiousity and result’s vary depending upon the person. So conclusion vary depending upon the person and his expectation.

Hmm that’s an excellent reply. True that impression vary from person to person.

Debating against others is a wise strategy. I too prefer the same . By which in fact we are getting more and more points. I had published a few words in those lines titled”argue for the opposite “

1. Sakthi

Yes. We all know debate happens mostly with opposite sex. Disappointment happens too in same sex.

I don’t think that debate happens mainly with opposite sex. Majority of my girlfriends argue among themselves. .lol

3. Sakthi

Maybe you would have experienced a lot 🙂 lol..I stick with newton’s 3rd law opposite poles attracts even though there is a debate result is possible!

4. Sakthi

Maybe we change our law according to our situation 🙂 Newton’s havent changed 🙂 maybe it happens more in women as your experienced much better 🙂

5. rajivbakshi

Sakthi , I don’t agree with you on this point . Why fight with unknown ppl , when there are so many ppl to find in your vicinity .

6. Sakthi

It depends upon the situation and it’s my individual thought based on experience!

7. Sakthi

No I’m not 🙂 just a beginner compared to your experience 🙂

3. DaisyWillows

I think first impressions count a lot. you are more likely to gain more from a good first impression than a bad one. A bad first impression requires effort and hard work to gain some credibility or acceptance. That is my 2 cents worth 😀

4. Visakha

I don’t think there’s a choice really. Because scientifically a person judges another in less than four seconds and this is something largely genetic. As far as I understand, though it is wrong to assess someone’s worth based on your first impression, it is not something you can control – perception whether good or bad will happen. You can only alter the impression later on so as to do justice to that person later on. 🙂

Absolutely true visakha. You had a great point. One need to be flexible enough to adapt to the situations. Then everything is under control

5. Seb Dani

It all depends on what is about the meeting with this person. Romantically I think first impression matters. It’s a no no or yes yes. But still not everything.
    If it for a business purpose then first imression is far from what you getting like you said it only be based on the outlook of person!

Thank you Seb . As you said, romantically , there could be a role to be played by first impression : the so called first sight love. in fact which is the most dangerous conclusion in my opinion. But there are many people going behind that..

6. jacquelineobyikocha

I am learning not to jump to conclusions or to judge a book by its cover. A lot of cliche’s used here, but it would be wrong to summarize someone just based on a first encounter.

Absolutely agree with you jacqueline. it’s unfair to judge a book by it’s cover.

7. pins & ashes

I go by vibes.. Clothes and cleanliness do matter at times, but the few first vibes I gather from a person has been spot on.. !

1. pins & ashes

🙂 I happens I guess .. Some people walk in and there is so much of freshness and positivity.. Some people are so point blank negative.. !

8. aishahnaaz

That statement is more applicable in a corporate world I think. I dunno how eligible I’m to talk about it as I just entered this world. But the first class we got here was about it. The impressions. The trainer said, “The first impression is the lasting impression, not the best”. I think this is more accurate. Sometimes even in the personal life, we remember the first impression we had about some people. In my case, many of my friends told me that, the first impression they had about me was I’m a very silent person, with some sort of ‘air’. And that changed later, when they got to know me better.(Cuz I’d like to observe, analyze and evaluate first) The first impression is not something that won’t change, but definitely something that lasts for quite sometime, until we get to now that person better. 🙂

Your trainer is correct. i too go with him.. The first impression is lasting, but many not be the best. thanks for your feedback Aisha.. So how are you doing with your new world..?

1. aishahnaaz

You’re most welcome..
        My new life is all about blending in, hanging out with people, making professional/personal connections, learning things for life and work, etc etc. It’s mostly about people. I just learned that the time of sitting in my comfort zone is over. This is the time to go out and seek, learn. I learn a lot of things everyday.
        Sorry I’m blabbering 😀 Anyway I got some really cool friends and colleagues to enjoy my life here. Hope it all lasts.. 🙂 Right now I’m in training, by May 20th I’ll be officially an employee of this company, hopefully.

oh tht’s great and best of luck for your carrier..
          yeah.. when we are out of the comfort zone, we are lucky to face many many challenges and there by many many opportunities to prove ourselves..

hmm..I will have to agree with you from a consumer perspective, where in which clients won’t have much time to evaluate the sales people. And their behavior matters a lot at that point of time. and you had a point that it can be the lasting impression, but not best always.

1. dhirajanand

Same goes with relations too, when meeting someone for the first time, in a way we are selling ourselves to the opposite one and vice versa.

hmm.. may be.. but I donno how long these instincts could be faithful to us..?

1. dhirajanand

Even after living together for years people stay strangers at times, it’s upto ones own self, how keen an observer he/she is.

ha.. will it be true always.. how do experience..?
      thanks a lot for opening your heart..

1. mukhamani

I really do not know but my instinct has never been wrong, and I very rarely judge people:))

10. Worlds Biggest Fridge Magnet

A first impression is the most impactful thing in business but in social life I think you do get a second chance at a first impression because people meet again and again and they get to make better and more informed decisions on whether their first impression was correct….

that’s a wonderful reply…I do agree with that second chance in personal life.

11. Arcane Owl

A first impression makes a lasting impression but not necessarily have to be the best…..I guess 🙂

12. voiceofastranger

Not matter what the first impression might be but it will always come’s down to the point how the person in front of interact and respect our aspects..:) Wonderfully written..:)

thank you and I am glad that you liked it.
      you have mentioned a new perspective which is well accepted.

13. Beat Company

Gorky
    A. Huxley
    Sinclair Lewis
    others.

I had my own bedroom
    but at 8 p.m.
    we were all supposed to go to sleep:
    “Early to bed and early to rise
    makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise,”
    my father would say.

“LIGHTS OUT!” he would shout.

then I would take the bed lamp
    place it under the covers
    and with the heat and hidden light
    I would continue to read:
    Ibsen
    Shakespeare
    Chekov
    Jeffers
    Thurber
    Conrad Aiken
    others.

they gave me a chance and some hope
    in a place of no chance
    no hope, no feeling.

I worked for it.
    it got hot under the covers.
    sometimes the sheets would begin to smoke
    then I’d switch the lamp off,
    hold it outside to

more woman than woman
    more man than man.

I had it all
    and
    I took it.

14. saalai kamalathaai

First impression is not really a best impression , if you ask me, since life is nothing about getting learned. so it obviously takes many choices. How will be the mother’s feel when she sees her baby for the very first time? will she judge it by its appearance or by considering the baby as one in her family? think! if she judges the baby at the very first instant when she sees, then i would say that she is not a quality mother. Like that, folks of different varieties must not be immediately judged. There is a huge impact on the concerned person’s life, if it was the case. It spreads rumors unnecessarily and finally the world around tend to neglect all the splendid characters of one’s. Only when we are contented , we will stop finding evils on others and once it is done, automatically life drives us to visage all the stuffs positively.

thank you so much for your valid comment. As you rightly pointed out, first impression can’t be the best impression. I liked your example of mother- baby

15. myheartbeats4ublog

hey..interesting topic. read thru the comments also…but ma’am, much as I would like to disagree with you, i cant, for you are absolutely right….